Thread: Freel Avoids Arbitration.

AA ERA

Freel Avoids Arbitration.

CINCINNATI -- Ryan Freel avoided salary arbitration on Monday by agreeing to a $3 million, two-year deal with the Cincinnati Reds that would increase if he plays regularly.The 29-year-old has led the Reds in steals each of the last two years. He hit .271 last season with 36 steals despite stints on the disabled list because of a swollen foot and torn knee cartilage.

Freel will get base salaries of $1.3 million next year and $1.7 million in 2007. His base salary in the second year would increase to $2 million if he gets 200 plate appearances in 2006 and would increase to a maximum of $2.65 million if he has 650 plate appearances.

He started 89 games at five positions last season, including 48 at second base. The Reds got Tony Womack from the Yankees in a trade for two prospects at the winter meetings, giving them another player of comparable skills.

Womack, who will get $2 million this season on the final year of his contract, said last week that he intends to win the starting job at second base.
    This seems interesting to me. What do they plan on doing with Freel. This to me sounds like there is something brewing. B/c as of now.. 2B is sadly taken up by Womack and OF is packed. I'm seeing there might be a move soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2265135

very interesting. very very interesting. 200 plate appearances is nothing, and that bumps his salary to 2 million this year. That's more than you pay your utility guy i would say, and i agree, this seems like a move to get freel into the field everyday.

Another sign pointing to a trade of an OF in my mind. I just hope we get a good starter and re-sign aurillia so womack isn't starting.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well, first of all, this is great news. good to see freel avoid arbitration and reach an agreement with the FO. I love it when a player can avoid arbitration. Just shows less greed on his part and a possible belief that he cares about the team.

Now, we may be in the midst of a trade for sure. This could get interesting soon.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Freel is more valuable than Kearns that's for sure. Freel should be starting over Womack if it came down to that but Freel should be playing everyday and the Reds need to get the trade talks going.

AA ERA
    it should be interesting to see what the Ownership has up its sleeves with this transaction. I believe Freel does so much for this team and should be the starter. All we need is a GOOD pitcher and maybe one more arm in the bullpen and this team to me looks to be a better team that can compete