Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tigers interested in Dunn?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Reds Tigers interested in Dunn?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...512120390/1129

Everyone wonders if a trade is brewing, whether it involves a pitcher, or if it's some sort of package containing Craig Monroe and Carlos Pena. Doubtful, it seems. Monroe and Pena aren't going to bring a starting pitcher in return -- not by themselves -- and neither by dangling that pair will you pry Adam Dunn from Cincinnati. Most likely scenario: Pena is swapped for a lower-profile left-handed reliever.
    I'm not sure if this is just the writer speculating that Detroit is interested or if they actually are contemplating making some sort of offer. Certainly, as the author states, an OF and 1B will not get Dunn. They'd have to offer some pitching as that is what the Reds need.

MLB ERA
    They won't give up Bonderman or Verlander.

No Dunn for them.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bonderman or bust for me. And like Geki said that's not happening, so tough luck for the Tigers.

Honestly, if you're the Reds, a guy like Justin Verlander may be the type of main prize you look for. I've never been THAT impressed with Bonderman (he will be good though), but if you could get Verlander + ??? (someone good though), or even Zumaya with a whole bunch of good stuff attached, you go for it. Verlander is a sick, sick prospect.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

1) Justin Verlander, RHP
    His command still needs some work and he was rushed to the majors, but he was overpowering in the minors, going 11-2, 1.29 (1.29!) in 20 starts, with a 136/26 K/BB in 119 innings. If he stays healthy, he should be ready by July, perhaps sooner. Outstanding Grade A bluechip prospect.

That is from Sickels prospect review. He wasn't good in his two major league starts, but that's 11 innings, he's as close to a sure thing in a pitching prospect* (* = Not Felix Hernandez) as you will get.

Obviously, I'd be asking for Verlander and another good prospect (Zumaya (although considering how good he is, that may be a bit much), Granderson, etc.)
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh don't get me wrong, I dig Verlander but I have always been a fan of Bonderman's for some reason. Plus I don't think there is any chance we could pry away Verlander. Bonderman slipped a bit last year on some of his stats so I just assume he might be a bit easier to snag.

BTW if Bonderman continues to get his control down, he could be pretty sick too. Remember how much this kid has been rushed, he's still developing.

MLB ERA
    Verlander is Felix Hernandez now that Felix has already made it in the big leagues. Dude should fly through the Tigers system, is easily the top pitching prospect in baseball.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    Verlander is Felix Hernandez now that Felix has already made it in the big leagues. Dude should fly through the Tigers system, is easily the top pitching prospect in baseball.
    Yup. And given that he still has many, many years of low cost ahead of him, I imagine the Tigers will refuse to trade him for about anyone. Probably Bonderman too (to have the 1-2 punch with Verlander) but hey, I can hope.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This is very interesting to me. I strongly doubt that there are actual talks, but these are the kind of guys we are looking for in a Dunn deal. Honestly, I would do this one.

MLB ERA
    The Tigers would be dumb to deal either for Dunn though. His OPS is killer, but his defense isn't very good at all and his K's aren't too appealing (I don't care about this as much as the Dunn haters, but still). You'd need a complete player to consider moving a guy who has true ace written all over him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    yes, because as the White Sox and Astros showed (and the Angels and Cardinals by making it to the LCS) good pitching beats good hitting (a cliche I know), so it's going to be hard for the Reds to get "equal value" when they're trying to get pitching. No one is going to give up a stud for Dunn unless they had a rotation of studs.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with you MF. It would be hard to pull this off, especially for DanO but it all depends on how desperate the Tigers are for a big bat.

MLB ERA
    They've got Curtis Granderson at AAA, who has 30 HR/40 2B potential though and their top pick this year, Cameron Maybin, is a legit 5 tool prospect, so they've got potential at the plate too. They're not exactly in the position to win right away so they're probably better off holding onto their young, stud SP's.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinersFan87
    The Tigers would be dumb to deal either for Dunn though. His OPS is killer, but his defense isn't very good at all and his K's aren't too appealing (I don't care about this as much as the Dunn haters, but still). You'd need a complete player to consider moving a guy who has true ace written all over him.
    Strikeouts are just another Out.

Anyone using that stat. has just lessened their point in a big way. It's moot and inaccurate.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    It's not just another out. By striking out with a runner on you give that runner no shot of advancing. It may not be a big deal, especially when Dunn walks as much as he does, but a K is not just anoter out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast