Thread: Overpaid or not, Casey is a class act

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Overpaid or not, Casey is a class act

Casey inspired local teen

By Kevin Garvey
    Guest contributor

I've waited five years to tell our story to the people of Cincinnati. Out of respect for Sean Casey's wishes, the only people who have heard of the following events are my immediate family and friends.

On Labor Day weekend 2000, my son Joe, then 14, was involved in an all-terrain vehicle accident. He is now paraplegic. The past five years have been difficult for him, but there has been one constant source of support for my son: Sean Casey.

Joe was a star catcher for the Westside Reds, a select baseball team, and was slated to be the starting catcher at East Central High School in Indiana. The accident brought all those dreams to an abrupt end.

Joe's initial surgery was in Louisville. Within days of the surgery, the first phone call came from Sean Casey. That was a surprise. I don't have any definitive idea how he ended up making the call, and I never asked him. My wife's uncle contacted the Reds organization, and I've assumed that's how it happened.

Sean asked for Joe and said he would come to visit him when Joe was transferred back to Cincinnati.

The first visit, Sean brought lunch. The following visits forged a bond between our families that still exists.

Sean and his wife, Mandi, came to visit and brought a box full of Sean's personal gear, uniforms and autographed baseballs (including a ball from the 1999 All-Star Game - in which Casey played - signed by many of the players). Sean knelt next to my son's bed and we prayed together.

He said: "It's guys like Joe that keep me going; I never take anything in life for granted, and together, Joe, we'll overcome this."

Sean pulled out a cloth bag that contained a wooden eagle, given to him by Dante Bichette when Sean had been hit in the eye by a ball and suffered scrutiny from the press, fans and players regarding his ability to perform. Sean told Joe that when the storms roll in, eagles rise above them and return when the storm subsides.

With tears in his eyes, Sean told Joe to be that eagle and never give up. There wasn't a dry eye in the room, and I couldn't believe that this true ambassador of the sport genuinely cared about my son.

His compassion is indescribable and his ability to inspire others to reach into themselves and strive is astonishing to witness.

Joe, our family and friends were invited to join Sean and the Reds players in the locker room at numerous ballgames. We also visited spring training and observed Sean interacting with fans, media, players - people in general. It was a true testimony of his character and a lesson in life he gave my son.

Sean told Joe that those fans pay his salary and you can never forget where you came from. He made it a point to stay and sign every requested autograph. The phone calls that came to our home from Sean just to "check on his buddy" still make me tear up. He called on Joe's birthdays, he called to inspire, he called to encourage, and he called because he cared.

Sean and Mandi came to our home for dinner when their son Andrew was a baby and made us feel like we were family. After talking with Mandi, I realized that our family is just one of many that have been blessed with Sean's wonderful gift. Sean told me once that his father told him that you have to give back where and when you can. He truly has done that and so much more.

When Sean suffered his concussion a few months ago, Joe insisted we call his cell phone. Joe left a message stating his concern and that we would pray for him. He stated that Sean didn't have to call him back, but if he wanted Joe to be there, he would. Joe wanted to give back to the man who gave him the will to live again.

Joe graduated from East Central and is enrolling in his fourth semester at Ivy Tech Community College in Lawrenceburg.

He works part-time, drives a car, has an active social life and strives to accomplish more.

Joe told me: "Dad, remember what Sean said: Failure is not an option. You can do it."

Garvey, who lives with his family in Bright, Ind., contacted The Enquirer on Wednesday and wanted to share this story.
    Article Link

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There can't be a better man than Sean Casey in baseball. Period.