Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds trade for 2b Tony Womack

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I loved this from the Reds site:
    DALLAS -- The Reds did not stop wheeling and dealing on their final day at baseball's Winter Meetings. On Thursday, they acquired infielder/outfielder Tony Womack from the Yankees for Minor Leaguers Kevin Howard and Ben Himes.
    That's like saying you're a 'playa' when you bring home fat chick night after night. Sure, I guess you're technically a 'playa'.... but it's nothing to really brag about.

If these wheels and deals are still in motion though, please make them stop though.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    does Castellini have say in what goes on? the sale hasn't gone through yet IIRC
    He's not supposed to but think about it ghetto. Our big rumor is Matt Morris (former Cardinal) and we just traded for a guy who had his career year as a Cardinal in Womack. I imagine he has something to do with the players we are targeting; either that or Dan O is trying to be a kiss-ass which is totally plausible.

MLB ERA
    I never dreamed that I would say this but....

I wish Bowden was still here!!! Anyone would be better than Bozo O Clown.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    I have a feeling O'Brien IS trying to kiss @ss in order to save his job.

From what I've heard though, Womack will indeed start at 2B this year unless something changes in terms of another move(s).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Congratulations Dan O'Brien, you just traded two prospects for a guy who was the 9th least valuable hitter (according to VORP) in the majors last year! Who's 36! And Making 2 Million Dollars!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    From what I've heard though, Womack will indeed start at 2B this year unless something changes in terms of another move(s).
    No surprise at all sadly. I bet he will bat leadoff too since he's so darn scrappy.

MLB ERA
    We apparently got $900,000 in the deal, at least. The only bright side I see is that this may mean Aurilia won't be back, which would save me a lot of anguish.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Congratulations Dan O'Brien, you just traded two prospects for a guy who was the 9th least valuable hitter (according to VORP) in the majors last year! Who's 36! And Making 2 Million Dollars!
    His ineptitude is beyond the realm of belief.

He is so awful it's almost funny.

He has to be one of the worst GMs ever, if not the worst.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    No surprise at all sadly. I bet he will bat leadoff too since he's so darn scrappy.
    Aurilia will probably sign to play 3B because they don't think EE is scrappy enough.

Lineup:
    Womack 2B
    Aurilia 3B
    Griffey CF
    Kearns RF
    Pena LF
    Dunn 1B
    Lopez SS
    LaRue C

DanO will probably end up dumping LaRue for nothing too, meaning Valentin will end up being the catcher.

but we offered aurillia arbitration so he can be back if he accepts it. This has to mean that an outfielder is getting moved, that's what i think. Why would we want womack when we have freel and denorfia to back up the outfield? The only possible explanation i can come up with is that freel is going to be starting in the outfield, aurillia is going to be starting at second, and womack was brought in to be the utility guy.

If he bounces back a little from his season last year he won't be that bad of a utility guy for 1 mil. He's a good threat to steal late in games as a pinch runner, he plays decent defense at several positions, and he's not that expensive. Howard would have been cheaper, but maybe they didn't see him in a utility role for some reason.

I can see some logic to this now, but we'll see if i'm right. The two big questions are: is an outfielder on the way out for another pitcher? and if so, what in tarnation are we going to do with wilson and milton?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I can't wait to read DanO's thoughts.

"We are so thankful that we were able to leave Dallas with the players we were targeting. This team has taken a step forward and inevitably we have made incredible strides at having a better team for the 2006 season. I know the fans will be happy and the team is going to go into thsi spring with plenty of excitement. We went into this offseason with a position of needing better pitching. We have done that with the addition of Williams. He will be a positive ace for this team and will allow the offense to step in and make things happen. We have also landed Womack who will give us a guy that can man the leadoff position. We also have a guy who has had playoff experience and will be a positive influence in the clubhouse. Lastly, we have resigned Aurilia to be a stop gap player that Randa was last season as Encarnacion is just not ready to take on MLB pitching for an entire season. Overall, we have had a very big offseason, both internally and externally, and we are excited about this coming season."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123