Thread: Hal: Reds tried to get Perez, Duke or Maholm, but Pirates refused

MLB ERA

Hal: Reds tried to get Perez, Duke or Maholm, but Pirates refused

Dunn uneasy, but Reds ready to put him at first
    Team may still trade Pena to Nationals

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DALLAS | Sean Casey cried when the Cincinnati Reds traded pitcher Chris Reitsma, and he cried when they traded third baseman Aaron Boone, and he cried when they released pitcher Danny Graves.

And when the Reds traded him Tuesday to the Pittsburgh Pirates, Casey cried for himself.

Casey was traded for left-handed pitcher Dave Williams on Tuesday, but the deal still had not been confirmed by the players passing physical examinations administered Wednesday, a formality.

The trade means Adam Dunn moves from left field to first base and solves the outfield problem — Austin Kearns to right and Wily Mo Pena to left, if he isn't traded to the Washington Nationals.

Dunn is displeased and sort of pleased, not happy to see Casey go and unsure about a move to first base.

"This is one of those things you hate to see," said Dunn, en route Wednesday to a deer hunting excursion. "Casey has been as big a part of the Reds as anybody over the past 10 years. It will be tough not to see him on a daily basis.

"He won't look good in black and gold (Pittsburgh's colors), although I'm told black makes you look skinny, so that should help him," Dunn added.

Dunn didn't want to talk about setting roots at first base until he talked to manager Jerry Narron, but said, "I played there a little in high school, but mostly pitched twice a week. It is good that the manager believes I can play there after I worked so hard not to make a spectacle of myself in left field. I'm really not that comfortable at first because I feel more like a designated hitter. I like to move around more, do some running to keep my legs loose, and you do more of it in the outfield."

Narron said he is comfortable writing Dunn's name as his first baseman.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Dunn can do that job," he said. "If that's what he really wants to do, and he really works at it, no question he can be good. At the end of last season (when Casey was hurt) he had no problem moving to first. He is a great athlete, and there is no doubt he can do it."

One man surprised about the trade was former Reds manager Jack McKeon, manager of the Florida Marlins until the end of last season, and a huge Casey fan.

"I would have liked to have had him in Florida last year, and if we had him, we would have won the division," he said. "The Reds are losing a key guy in the clubhouse, and they'll really miss that leadership. Williams is OK, but he is a project. I would have gotten more for Casey — somebody like Oliver Perez."

The Reds did want Perez, or top pitching prospects Zach Duke or Paul Maholm, but the Pirates wouldn't let go, and the Reds settled for Williams, a No. 4 or No. 5 rotation guy who had shoulder problems last September.

"He is a very solid left-handed major-league pitcher," Narron said of Williams. "The Pirates won 67 or 68 games (67) last year, and he won 10."

The happiest guy is new Pittsburgh manager and Hamilton native Jim Tracy, happy that the Reds were unable to pry away the Pirates' best pitching prospects and even happier they acquired Casey.

"I love Sean Casey," he said. "How often can you get a guy who had an off year and hit .312, a guy who has struck out less than 100 times combined the last two years, a guy who has struck out five times in the last two years with a runner on third and less than two outs," Tracy said. "That is unheard of.

"You can't strike the guy out, especially late in the game in crucial situations," he added. "Adam Dunn might hit the ball into the Ohio River, but late in the game, if you bring in the right pitcher and he makes his pitches, you can strike him out. You can't strike out Sean Casey."

And even more appetizing to Tracy is Casey's personality and genuine love of the game.

"I know how I played and how I treat people, and when you looked into the other dugout you knew Casey was genuine in everything," Tracy said. "You see a guy who loves the game the way he does, and you want the guys on your team to see it and feel it."

Even though the Casey deal is done, the Reds may not be. The team is involved in three-way talks with the Washington Nationals and Toronto Blue Jays that would send Pena to Washington, the Nationals would send Brad Wilkerson to Toronto and the Blue Jays would send right-handed pitcher Dave Bush — 5-11, 4.49 in 24 starts last season — to the Reds.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

damn it obrien! dave bush!? Just stop. Just stop making deals because you can't handle it. Who's going to play the outfield while dave bush pitches his league average at best?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

ESPN says:

"The Toronto Blue Jays turned their attention to offense on Wednesday night, acquiring first baseman Lyle Overbay from the Milwaukee Brewers for right-hander Dave Bush, outfield prospect Gabe Gross and Triple-A left-hander Zach Jackson."

Wilkerson was also included in the nats deal for soriano, so whatever hal was talking about isn't going to happen. whew.

Also, how did overbay bring three players and we got 1 for casey? if williams isn't everything larussa thinks (the best left hander in the league!? what is that got on?) the williams deal looks worse and worse.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    anyone know if the ownership has an email address on the reds site? I want to start a spam campaign called "End the Insanity, Can Dan NOW."
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

I honestly feel sorry for Reds fans having to deal with DOB. I've given him his chance and he failed miserably. Best of luck in finding a capable GM.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.