Thread: O'Brien to meet with Aurilia/Matt Morris' agent tomorrow

MLB ERA

O'Brien to meet with Aurilia/Matt Morris' agent tomorrow

DALLAS -- Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said he was scheduled to meet Wednesday morning with Barry Axelrod, the agent for free agent infielder Rich Aurilia. The club is interested in bringing Aurilia back next season.

Axelrod also represents right-hander Matt Morris, the top starting pitcher left on the free agent market. O'Brien was asked if Cincinnati would be interested in Morris, who has pitched for the Cardinals for the past eight seasons.

"The net is cast wide and far," O'Brien responded.

It does not appear optimistic that Reds free agent Jacob Cruz would be back next season. Talks have hit a road block since Cincinnati is only willing to offer a Minor League deal and Cruz wants a big-league contract.

"It doesn't look like it's going to happen, subject to him changing his mind," O'Brien said. "Quite honestly, we hope he does reconsider. He has a decision to make."

Cruz led the Major Leagues in 2005 with a club-record 20 pinch-hits and was a .236 hitter. Reds players and fans now have a date to circle on their calendars.

Reporting for duty: The club announced that pitchers and catchers will report to the City of Sarasota Sports Complex in Florida for Spring Training on Feb. 16. Position players are scheduled to report Feb. 22.

Cincinnati's Grapefruit League schedule begins March 2 vs. the Tigers at Lakeland, Fla. Its first game in Sarasota will be split-squad action March 3, also vs. Detroit.

The regular season begins April 3 against the Cubs at Great American Ball Park.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    "The net is cast wide and far," O'Brien responded.

That is the funniest quote YET!

I have my new second sig.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Forget it, I am too upset to even respond to this crap.

MLB ERA
    By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

DALLAS | The cellphone rang early Tuesday morning, and the excited voice said, "Am I still a Cincinnati Red? Where am I going? What do you hear?"

The voice belonged to Reds first baseman Sean Casey, and he is interested in his future, which, it turns out, will be with another team.

Late Tuesday night, an emotional Casey confirmed to the Dayton Daily News that his trade to the Pirates is official, pending a physical that he will take in Pittsburgh today.

In return, the Reds will receive left-handed starting pitcher Dave Williams, of whom St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said last season, "That's the best left-handed pitcher in the league." Williams also will take a physical to finalize the deal.

Williams, 26, was 10-11 with a 4.41 ERA in 25 starts last season with one complete-game shutout. He struck out 88 and walked 58 in 138 2/3 innings while holding opposing hitters to a .261 average. Also, Williams will make $1.4 million next year, $7.1 million less than Casey's contract.

Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien said Tuesday night, "We're trying to do a lot of different things and we have several things with a chance to get done before the meetings end (Thursday)."

Earlier Tuesday, Casey was hoping the deal would not be made.

"Man, I've been hearing my name all over the place with Boston and Pittsburgh," Casey said. "That stinks. I want to retire with the Cincinnati Reds. I don't want to go anywhere. I love Cincinnati and the fans and the team and the charitable work I do. But, if I have to go — and I hope I don't — Pittsburgh is the best place because that's where I was born and raised."

Williams was surprised by talk of him coming to the Reds.

"I called my agent this morning to see if the Pirates had picked up any offense," Williams said. "I was worried about what kind of power hitter we were going to get. Now I guess I don't have to worry about it. This is kind of crazy. It's shocking. I can't believe it. I thought my name would be the last one to come up."

The evidence is heavy that the Reds traded Casey less because of his performance than to get out from under the $8.5 million contract he has for the upcoming season. Several teams who have talked to the Reds say the first thing they are asked is, "Do you have any interest in Sean Casey?"

One club said, "No, but how about Adam Dunn?" The Reds didn't say no, but did ask for a No. 1 pitcher, which quickly stiffed any deal.

With Casey a Pirate, Dunn most likely will be switched from left field to first base.

It has been a good few days for Casey. Just last week Casey and his wife, Mandi, had their third child and first girl, Carli Renee.

"It would feel weird for me to wear a uniform other than Cincinnati's," Casey said early Tuesday. "But I know with this being the last year of my contract, they either have to offer me another contract or trade me before I become a free agent. But all this just leaves a sinking feeling in my stomach."

Speaking of free agents, O'Brien talks about speaking with representatives for free agents, but mostly they are fringe players with low impact.

Despite the party line about having money for free agents, if the team is sticking to a $60 million payroll, even with the Casey trade, there is no money for blue-chip free agents, because most of the $8.5 million from Casey's contract would go toward paying the team's eight arbitration-eligible players — Dunn, Austin Kearns (if he isn't traded), Wily Mo Pena (if he isn't traded), Jason LaRue (if he isn't traded), Felipe Lopez, Javier Valentin, Ryan Freel and Aaron Harang.

O'Brien said Tuesday the Reds will talk with free-agent infielder Rich Aurilia, hoping to convince him to return to the Reds.

And there is a report floating that the Reds and St. Louis Cardinals could get together on an outfielder Austin Kearns-for-pitcher Jason Marquis deal. The Cardinals, though, are waiting to see if they can re-sign pitcher Matt Morris before trading Marquis.

Morris reportedly is after a three-year, $25 million deal, and the Cardinals consider him too fragile, too much of a risk, for that kind of deal and probably will keep Marquis.

O'Brien even intimated he has mild interest in Morris, saying, "Our net is cast wide. There are a few intriguing names out there." Asked about Morris wanting a three-year, $25 million deal, O'Brien said, "His parameters are undefined to us. As of now, we do not have an MRI on Morris.

The Reds, though, do have an MRI on Cleveland free-agent pitcher Kevin Millwood, although his price probably is as high as his risk.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This sounds a lot better. I am off and on tonight because I am seeing surprises hit at every end and am wary of the next move. But this does sound like DanO is involved in other talks which is something I really wanted to hear. Now, I can spend the rest of the night and all morning til I go to bed after work knowing that this may have its benefits. Please show me something more tomorrow DanO.

And again, bringing back Aurilia no matter what equals garbage.

Why is everyone so down on Aurilia, but not on Casey?

Aurilia played a more demanding positon in many fewer games but still hit more homers and rbi's than Casey did last season.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincy
    Why is everyone so down on Aurilia, but not on Casey?

Aurilia played a more demanding positon in many fewer games but still hit more homers and rbi's than Casey did last season.
    1) Aurilia took time and at bats from the young guys after we went into "future mode".
    2) Aurilia complained about playing time inspite of having been outplayed by Felipe and not having a decent year since he left San Balcosisco.
    3) Aurilia "wants to start"
    4) Freel provides the spark to line up.
    5) We got younger guys who need a chance to see what they are capable of.
    6) Did I mention him running his mouth?
    7) Aurilia feasted on AAA pitching staffs like the ones in Colorado and Tampa Bay while nearly choking on the bone when playing against good MLB staffs.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    1) Aurilia took time and at bats from the young guys after we went into "future mode".
    2) Aurilia complained about playing time inspite of having been outplayed by Felipe and not having a decent year since he left San Balcosisco.
    3) Aurilia "wants to start"
    4) Freel provides the spark to line up.
    5) We got younger guys who need a chance to see what they are capable of.
    6) Did I mention him running his mouth?
    7) Aurilia feasted on AAA pitching staffs like the ones in Colorado and Tampa Bay while nearly choking on the bone when playing against good MLB staffs.

AGREED!

I never thought i'd be saying this. Never. But brining back aurillia might be a good call right now. It would take some guts for sure, but here's what i'm thinking. They sign aurillia and give him the second base job for a year, they trade kearns or Pena for pitching, and they start freel in the OF with Denorfia there to back him up incase he gets hurt. Starting freel is risky, but it could work, and we might be able to get a good starter for one of our outfielders.

I don't know. Aurillia is clearly a jerk, and i'd rather not have him on the team. Plus he probably wants two years, and would block bergolla if we see him in the club's plan. I'm just so dissatisfied with the Williams deal as far as reolling the rotation that i want another pitcher, but who knows if we even have room for another starter with Wilson and Milton both under contract.

I guess our rotation right now is:

Harang
    Claussen
    Williams
    Wilson
    Milton

not really inspiring. Maybe we can deal milton for a prospect or a utility guy and then pick up aurillia, and then trade on outfielder who can bring us a pitcher better than claussen.

freel of
    lopez ss
    dunn 1b
    kearns/pena of
    griffey of
    Aurillia 2b
    Larue c
    EdE 3b

Harang
    pticher from trade
    claussen
    williams
    wilson
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    The only way I'd want Aurilia back is if we are not getting him back with any possible remaining money we have left to spend. If we can afford him, OK. If not, I pass.

MLB ERA
    Aurilia was completely incapable of hitting away from GAB.