Thread: O'Brien: Talks with Boston have happened; moves "realistic possibility"

MLB ERA

O'Brien: Talks with Boston have happened; moves "realistic possibility"

12/05/2005 9:22 PM ET
    Reds do a lot of talking on Day 1
    GM focuses in on compatible group; looming deals realistic
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

DALLAS -- Lots of talks, no transactions for the Reds.
    Although it was a relatively quiet first day during baseball's Winter Meetings on Monday at the Wyndham Anatole Hotel, Reds general manager Dan O'Brien had no problem keeping busy. Cincinnati is intent on filling big holes on its pitching staff and has made no secret of its willingness to make trades.

Brimming with offensive talent, especially in the outfield, the Reds have plenty of potential dealing chips that should attract teams, including Ken Griffey Jr., Wily Mo Pena, Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns.

"We've had dialogue of some degree or another with pretty much every team," O'Brien said early Monday evening. "We've zeroed in on a group we think we have the best potential match with. We followed up with meetings today."

One possible match for O'Brien could be with the Red Sox, who are looking for a left-handed-hitting first baseman and view Sean Casey as a potential candidate. Boston, which has an excess of starting pitchers, is shopping right-hander Bronson Arroyo. Third baseman Kevin Youkilis, a Cincinnati native and Sycamore High School graduate could also be part of any deal.

"I would say we've had talks with Boston but I'm not going to talk about specific names involved," O'Brien said.

Rumors around the hotel also identified Casey as a would-be fit for the Pirates, who also have starting pitching to spare including Josh Fogg, Kip Wells and Mark Redman. Casey is a native of the Pittsburgh area.

While negotiating with other clubs, the Reds are also exploring what's considered to be a very thin free agent market. O'Brien spent part of his day in talks with player agents.

Before the meetings, free agent relievers B.J. Ryan (Toronto) and Scott Eyre (Cubs) landed sizeable contracts. And starting pitcher Paul Byrd inked a two-year $14.25 million deal with Cleveland on Monday. Inflated contracts could make doing business more challenging for Cincinnati.

"It definitely changes the landscape," O'Brien said. "Every discussion following every signing, it seems like the price goes up. That's the environment right now."

The Reds have three of their own free agents on the market as well. O'Brien plans to talk with Barry Axelrod, the agent for infielder Rich Aurilia, sometime this week. He has not decided what will happen with outfielder Jacob Cruz, but prefers to offer him a Minor League contract. The club told infielder Luis Lopez he would not be offered arbitration before Wednesday's deadline.

Whether it's via trade or a free agent signing, what are the chances something might get done before the Reds contingent leaves Dallas? "I would say right now, there's a realistic possibility," O'Brien said.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am scred to read this one....

Here I go...

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I'd say it was a productive day for DanO and company today. Maybe DanO should have not spent as much time with player agents, but other than that it sounds like he has layed some groundwork. Its probably bed time for them right now and they are likely going to get a big start tomorrow. Get some good rest DanO.

Now, this makes it sound like they have their thoughts on specific situations and that they are going to be concentrating on these situations deeper tomorrow. i think a lot more will be clear tomorrow and we may hear something being close to getting done. Boston keeps getting brought up but DanO was not specific on anything as usual. Right now, my thought is on a Casey to Boston deal though.

I think Casey and Youkilis could be a workable base. I feel bad for Youk, because he's a completely legitimate player at either corner and he simply has not gotten the shot he deserved because of one reason (Bill Mueller) or another (Kevin Millar). The thing is, in Cincy, the shot STILL isn't there because of EdwinE and Dunn at 1B (I assume).

Casey would be cool to have in Boston, but extremely expensive. Still provides another 6 hitter for the Sox, not like they have any of those.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Youkilis might get some special recognition being he's from Cincy. Perhaps the team is thinking that Casey AND an outfielder are about to go, so they could keep EdE at 3B and put Youkilis at 1B while leaving Dunn in the outfield with the reamaining two outfielders.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

That's actually a possibility. I think Youk could learn to play 1B and he'd be effective. He may not be Casey, but he reminds me a lot of Bill Mueller with a little more patience/little less power.

MLB ERA
    Another thing that makes me think Youkilis could be a fit is the trend I'm hearing about what Castellini is wanting as owner. He not only wants to win now, but it seems he's trying to make the team more marketable in general. Obviously losing "The Mayor" would hurt, but replacing him with a native would probably end up being a good thing, as long as we keep Dunn and sign him long-term. He seems to be focused on making the fan base pleased while at the same time making moves that will help the team. That's just my early interpretation of him and his thinking.

MLB ERA
    Youkilis is the man. Imagine this line-up for next year:

2B Freel
    1B Youkilis
    SS Lopez
    LF Dunn
    CF Griffey
    RF Kearns/Pena
    C LaRue/Valentin
    3B Encarnacion

They won't even need to hit well with guys on base, since there will always be guys on base.

MLB ERA
    That offense could well lead the league in Runs Scored yet again.

Now if only we can add two or three starters and two or three relievers...

Maybe I'm too off base...

But here is my deal: Red Sox's get Kearns, Casey, and Milton and we get Clement, Arroyo, and Yourilis in return.

we'd have to pay for milton in that case, they wouldn't take his salary for us. and they'd have to deal trot nixon for a starter, which they are trying to do anyway, but it makes it a little more complicated. Overall, too far fetched i think.

Plus, if you think about it this way:
    casey for clement (salaries stay the same)
    milton for arroyo (we pay milton and arroyo, sox save cash we get a better starter)
    Kearns for youkilis

why would we deal kearns for youk at that point? Kearns has more potential, and by trading casey and moving dunn or grif we've done what we need to do to clear up the OF.

If we could get clement for casey i'd do it, it seems like a productive deal for both teams and the salaries match, but i'd stop right there.

then we have:

harang
    clement
    claussen
    wilson
    milton

which is a little better. And we've cleared up the OF situation:

Freel
    Lopez
    Dunn
    Kearns
    Griffey
    Pena
    Larue
    EdE
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Red Sox's get Kearns, Casey, and Milton and we get Clement, Arroyo, and Yourilis in return.

Wait, what? Unless the Sox deal Manny, they have no OF room (Kearns can't play CF I'm assuming), Milton sucks, and Casey's decent. The Sox get nothing they can use and give up too much.

MLB ERA
    Kearns probably could play CF, actually. He wouldn't be as good as he is in right, but he'd be a pretty decent defender.