Thread: i'll say again, the reds are dumb.

i'll say again, the reds are dumb.

we don't have a starting second baseman, but we leave Howard off the 40 man roster. Well guess what Baseball America has to say about that in their rule 5 draft preview:

1. Kevin Howard, 2b/3b, Reds

Howard has the biggest buzz coming into this year's draft after having a brilliant season in the Arizona Fall League. A fifth-round pick in 2002 out of Miami, Howard won the AFL batting title, hitting .409-3-16 in 88 at-bats. But perhaps his strongest asset was proving himself to be an adequate defender at third base. Howard played third in college, but played primarily second base since turning pro. He's a patient lefthanded hitter with a line-drive stroke, and has shown improved power. Some scouts in the AFL liked him better at third, and Howard could be solid at either spot making him the best overall position player available in the draft. Dan Uggla (Diamondbacks) is another utility player who dramatically upped his stock in the AFL, but Howard's lefthanded bat, which could be valuable off a big league bench, gives him the edge.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Dur.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    the rule 5 draft is kind of a joke to be honest. If a team picks a player, then they have to keep him on the ML roster for the entire season or they give hime back and pay the team money IIRC. So, although a team may pick him, I doubt he'd a team would keep him on the ML roster the entire season...especially if he's not ML ready. Is he ready to step in and play at the ML level?

Meh, the Sox weaved their way in and out of having Stern either on the MLB roster or having him on the DL. It's possible, and I'd bet a team would do it for a good/close enough player.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

yeah, generally loosing a player in the rule 5 isn't so bad, but this particular situation just boggles my mind because not only was he our best performing prospect in the AFL, we don't have a starting 2b or really a solid utility guy either. To loose a young cheap guy that could fill multiple roles on your team (who other teams are obviously interested in) seems very shortsighted for a GM who is supposed to be good at building internal talent.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    What level did he play at this year? AA?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yup, he played in AA.

I think this is an all the way around bad idea not to protect him as well. I just don't understand why we wouldn't.

MLB ERA
    well, not many players make the jump from AA to MLB, so chances are if he gets picked, he'll get returned to the Reds for not staying on the MLB roster for the whole year.

Didn't the Reds fail to protect Gardner, who I heard about?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep Gardner was the other big name, but he had a shoulder injury this season and he should not get claimed because he likely won't be ready by season's start even.

Teams can place a player on the DL if they want and delay the Rule V eligibility rules IIRC.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh really, this is where I get killed on my deep knowledge. I didn't know that one. So, if he is claimed, he does not have to stay on the MLB roster even when he comes off the DL?

I think he actually does have to go on the MLB roster. I wouldn't be shocked though to see a team grin and bear it if they feel Gardner is good enough once healthy. Hell, the Sox let Adam Stern rot on the bench for a year and they somehow kept Leonard Dinardo (or whoever the Rule V guy was the year before Stern).

MLB ERA
    Gardner will supposedly be healthy enough to pitch when the season starts.

I think Howard will probably end up with the Marlins and will likely get a chance to play a fairly significant amount. We won't see him again.