Thread: the return of machado

the return of machado

From the lancaster blog:

The Reds announced the signing of three players to minor league contracts today, including our old pal Anderson Machado. Also on the list are infielder Aaron Herr and right-handed reliever Jake Robbins. All have been invited to big-league camp.

Don't worry about Machado being positioned to step in and compete for an everyday job, though. Dan O'Brien said the kid "feels bad" about the way last year went, and both parties would like to see what Machado can do when fully healthy.

"It’s a far cry from the way it was a year ago, because you’ve got an All-Star shortstop now," said O'Brien. "So it’s a totally different scenario."

In fact, it sounds as if Herr -- who's primarily a second baseman but can also play third -- might be more likely to get a close look at breaking camp with the team. He hit .298 with 21 homers and 81 RBIs for the Cardinals' Class AA team last year.

"Herr has a legitimate chance, there’s no doubt about it," said O'Brien.

Robbins was effective for the Indians' AAA team last year, going 3-5 with a 3.08 ERA and 23 saves in 49 appearances. He's a sinker/slider guy known for producing groundballs.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Like that old pair of jeans that others think you need to throw away but you refuse to because you love them how they fit you so well; so is Dan O'Brien with his fascination with Anderson Machado.

I have nothing personally against Machado but this organization loves what is comfortable. Really, there won't be any 6th year minor league free agents that are more talented that we could take a chance on? There's nothing wrong with getting another pair of jeans occasionally Dan.

last year was definitely Herr's best year offensively, so part of me wants to say that it was probably a fluke and that he'll just be filler for the minors.

but if you like to look at trends, he has improved every year he's played and at every level. Here are his career OPS numbers through the minors.

2000 Rk .617
    2001 Rk .638
    2002 A .649
    2003 A .712
    2004 AA .772
    2005 AA .834

at that pace he should be good for at least an .870 OPS with the big club this year, which should put him in the all-star game and guarantee him ROY. nice job aaron.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    "It’s a far cry from the way it was a year ago, because you’ve got an All-Star shortstop now," said O'Brien. "So it’s a totally different scenario."

Translation: I didn't realize that Lopez was going to be a talented major league player and that Machado wasn't going to be, so I'm now saying that I had no clue as to what I was doing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    at that pace he should be good for at least an .870 OPS with the big club this year, which should put him in the all-star game and guarantee him ROY. nice job aaron.
    I think that's expecting a bit much from him. He had a big jump last year from the year before in AA, but I wouldn't expect a large jump in the majors. He might not even be able to post even decent numbers in the majors for all we know. With that said, he deserves a shot to make the team during ST.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I think that's expecting a bit much from him. He had a big jump last year from the year before in AA, but I wouldn't expect a large jump in the majors. He might not even be able to post even decent numbers in the majors for all we know. With that said, he deserves a shot to make the team during ST.
    actually CRF, i was joking about that. I tried to get that across with the guaranteed ROY, but it's tough on the internet.

You're right on about danO and machado, i loved that comment about Felipe too.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Sorry, I didn't notice that part and you're right, it is tough to do that.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    to be honest, I am excited about these signings. Well, outside of Machado, I don't think we could have done much better. Thing is, we already have depth at 2B. So if Herr makes it to the Reds after ST, where are Olmedo and Bergolla going? Back to Louisville again to team up with Holbert and Howard? Too much depth there. This ends up placing Howard in Chatanooga so he can start. Weird, but whatever.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If anyone needs to be starting at Louisville it's Bergolla and Howard. Holbert is not a part of our future and is ok for filler but we need to play the prospects and not guys like him. Same thing with Olmedo basically, we all know the holes in his games and I think Bergolla projects to be a much better player in the end.

I personally think Howard could fight his way onto the MLB team so if not there, AAA is the place IMO.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    after giving DanO's words some though I have come up with a scary conclusion. I think he is thinking along the same lines as everyone else who believes shouldn't start. This could quite possibly be another Machado/Lopez situation that DanO believes there is even competition for the starting 2B job. I am not happy if he thinks we need a 2B and this is his answer.

i don't think that howard is really in the reds plans as he was left off the 40 man roster, and after leading the AFL in batting, i think it's pretty safe to say that he's going to get taken in the rule 5 draft.

I just don't get it. Why do you send a guy to the AFL, the so called prospect showcase, if you aren't going to protect him when he succeeds. That's like driving your fancy car all over the place honking, and then getting out, waving the keys over your head, tossing them on the drivers seat, and walking away.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I totally forgot about that one Wally. Why the heck is Olmedo on the 40 man roster who at best projects to be an ok bench player (and even that's debateable) but most see Howard as a potential MLB starter and he's not protected. I just don't get this organization at all sometimes.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, exactly man. Its ridiculous to say the least and it has me at a loss in mind trying to figure it out. Howard may not be as good as he was in the AFL but, he is good enough to protect because of his AFL stats. If that makes sense. To me this is ridiculous and shows another form of DanO's inability to keep the right guys around. Another Booker situation in my opinion.