Thread: MLB.com Mailbag

MLB.com Mailbag

1. Are the Reds' new owners possibly going to go in a different direction as far as Dan O'Brien and Jerry Narron are concerned?
    -- James G., Dublin, Ohio

I don't think anybody would be completely shocked to see that happen at some point in the next year. After all, change at the top often leads to changes at other levels.

But I simply can't answer this question right now, because of the "wait and see" atmosphere the Reds are living in. Until the new owners are in place and in charge, we're not able to get their thoughts on the current front office staff and management layout.

When Narron took the full-time manager's job, he acknowledged that this situation is tenuous. No one's standing on firm ground. Except, maybe, for the peanut vendors. Have a question about the Reds?

2. The Reds have to be either the worst or the most unlucky team around when it comes to developing pitchers. They have drafted several in the first round over the last several years but have nothing to show for it. Many have experienced arm problems. Still, you would think that somewhere along the line they might get lucky and find someone in the later rounds that can help the club. My question concerns Ty Howington, Chris Gruler and Homer Bailey. Will any of these former first-rounders ever be able to help the big club? I know Gruler and Howington have already had surgeries, and at one time there was some concern about the shoulder of Bailey.
    -- Dave A., Portsmouth, Ohio

Bailey hasn't had any injuries that have significantly delayed his development the way Gruler and Howington have. The Reds are very happy with the way he's coming along in their system, but they know he's still at least a couple of years away from the big leagues, and they have no interest in rushing him along. For now, based on his Minor League numbers, his attitude and everything the scouts are saying about him, I don't see any reason why he can't realize his potential.

I'm afraid I can't say the same for Gruler and Howington right now. Neither is protected on the 40-man roster with the Rule 5 Draft coming up, and I think that speaks to their "prospect" status in the organization. To completely write off either one of these guys isn't fair, but their injury histories and general lack of progress certainly haven't provided reason for any of us to firmly expect to see them in a Reds uniform down the line.

3. Wouldn't it seem the Reds and Pirates would match up well as trading partners with the slew of young arms the Pirates have and the abundance of outfielders the Reds have, despite being in the same division? Wouldn't a Wily Mo Pena-to-Pittsburgh deal for left-hander Paul Maholm make sense for both sides?
    -- Steven C., Williamsport, Pa.

I think it makes more sense for the Reds than the Pirates.

4. Why would we not protect a young guy like Kevin Howard on the 40-man roster? With all the struggling arms on this roster, we can surely protect a good prospect like him.
    -- Larry J., Las Vegas

With all the fuss made about Howard's progress and strong performance in the Arizona Fall League, this decision puzzled me, as well. But all teams run up against some difficult choices this time of year, when it's time to prepare for the Rule 5 Draft. The Reds, I'm sure, are crossing their fingers and hoping Howard makes it through undrafted, because I know they think highly of his potential to someday contend for the starting second base job.

5. Do you really feel the Reds would be better served with Sean Casey at first base and one of the outfielders gone? Or with Dunn at first, Pena, Austin Kearns and Ken Griffey Jr. in the outfield and hopefully a new pitcher we could get for Casey?
    -- Steve O., Kamuela, Hawaii

Two problems with this scenario, in my opinion:
    1. I don't think Pena has the defensive skills or the offensive consistency to warrant an everyday job in the National League right now.
    2. I don't think Casey, given his shoulder problems and lack of power, would land the Reds much in the way of a quality starter, unless he was part of a bigger package deal.

I know a great number of Reds fans disagree with these assessments, based on the e-mails I receive. And I'm sure I'll get another batch of e-mails from fans pointing out how much they disagree. But as former manager Dave Miley used to say, "What do you want me to do about it? I'm only one man."

6. Regarding the Reds' current lag in Latino coverage, I agree with your assessment of Jim Bowden as a grandstanding headline-stealer who discounted scouting and organization in favor of whiz-kid trade magic. But don't forget Marge Schott. She may well have saved Major League Baseball in Cincinnati at the time, but she also gutted one of the great scouting organizations in all of baseball ("You mean we're paying them to watch baseball games?"). Wow. Remind the younger fans that Cincinnati (along with Pittsburgh) built their 'small-market' franchises into dominant powers in the 70s based on their aggressive scouting and signing of Latino players in the 50s and 60s, especially.
    -- Jim M., Iowa City, Iowa

I think you're dead-on, Jim. Without that aggressive scouting and without a farm system that can consistently produce quality talent, a team of the Reds' market size flounders.

7. Josh Hall had a great year at Chattanooga after recovering from shoulder surgery. What do you think his chances are of getting back to the Major League level this year?
    -- Tim C., Louisa, Va.

I'd expect Hall, who went 5-6 with a 3.45 ERA in 18 starts with the Lookouts this past year, to get a chance to further prove his worth at Triple-A Louisville at the start of 2006.

Considering all Hall has endured since being taken by the Reds in the seventh round of the 1998 draft, it would be nice to see him get back to the bigs, where he spent six games in '03. But he still has many hurdles to cross, and the biggest will be getting back on the 40-man roster.

8. Are the Reds planning on another Winter Caravan this offseason? I really enjoyed going last year.
    -- Sean K., Miamisburg, Ohio

Yes, the Winter Caravan will be held, as usual, in January. No specific details about locations visited or exact dates have been released, but I'd expect it to take place around the third week of the month again.

And finally ...

9. When will the Reds sign Roger Clemens?
    -- Tori B., Cincinnati

April 1.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think we should try and submit our own questions and see if we can use our usernames and S3F as our city. Get some exposure.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I think we should try and submit our own questions and see if we can use our usernames and S3F as our city. Get some exposure.

lol good idea, I will give rep to anyone who does that.

Reds Chick Baseblogger Red Hot Mama's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I recommended that he rename the mailbag "Red Hot Mama's Funbags O' Mail" and offered to sponsor it, but apparently my suggestion wasn't as good as "Kickin' It With Castrovince" because it didn't merit a mention.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    lol that sucks. he didn't even rename the thing after he got our hopes up as well.