Thread: Q & A with Javier Valentin

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Q & A with Javier Valentin

Q & A with Javier Valentin
    Reds' backup catcher sits down with MLB.com
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

It takes a lot for a backup catcher to have a breakout year, but Javier Valentin made the most of his opportunities in 2005 to do so.

In fact, by the end of the year, Valentin could hardly be considered a backup to Jason LaRue at all. He had basically played himself into a platoon situation.

In doing so, Valentin put the Reds in an interesting spot. He proved to them that he's worthy of a starting job, and now -- with both Valentin and LaRue up for salary arbitration -- the club must decide who to keep and who to trade.

MLB.com caught up with Valentin toward the end of his breakout year and asked him several offbeat questions about his life on and off the field.

MLB.com: What career would you have if you weren't a pro baseball player?

Valentin: Maybe a teacher in a school, or something helping kids. I don't even have something I've thought of.

MLB.com: What do you remember about your first car?

Valentin: I bought my first car in '93 when I signed. I got my first check, and my brother had his car at my house in Puerto Rico. And his wife was out of town, so I was going to use his car. But two days later, he came back and had to use his car. So I went out and bought a Honda Civic. I told my dad, 'You know what? I'm going to buy my car.' It was a brand new one, too.

MLB.com: Who was the biggest influence on your life growing up, outside of your parents?

Valentin: My brother, Jose. Right after my dad, he's my mentor. He's everything. We talk about everything.

MLB.com: If you were stranded on a desert island, what two things would you want to have with you?

Valentin: Water [laughs]. And ... wow. I don't know what the other one is. But water's pretty important. A TV's going to be too big. Radio, you would need radio kind of stuff. Maybe an umbrella? You know, it gets kind of hot. And it protects you from the sun. So that ... an umbrella and water.

MLB.com: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

Valentin: Italy. To explore a lot of beautiful things.

MLB.com: What sort of hobbies do you have away from baseball?

Valentin: I like to help people in school with sports and explain the hard way and the right way to do anything if you're going to be in sports. You have to do the right thing. That's one thing I like to do.

MLB.com: What's the best present you've ever received?

Valentin: My kid [Xavier], because he means more than anything in my life. He's five. Right now, my wife is pregnant. She's due in March. And maybe that's the reason a lot of things have gone well this year. I'm happy with what I'm doing, I'm happy with my family, I'm happy with everything. That's been very nice.

MLB.com: What's your most prized personal possession?

Valentin: My parents, you know, my family. I have my parents alive, thanks to God. We're together. We're a good family. We're always happy a lot with each other.

MLB.com: If you could face any pitcher in baseball history, who would it be and why?

Valentin: Oh, Greg Maddux [laughs].

[Valentin, in case you're wondering, is 6-for-10 with four home runs in his career against Maddux.]

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Article Link

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Valentin seems like an extremely nice guy and one that is simply happy with life. You can't ask for anything more. He has a dream job and he knows it. That humble approach is appealing to anyone.

So what do we think? Keep him and LaRue or trade one of them? I honestly don't think we would get a good pitcher for one of them unless it was a packaged deal.

MLB ERA
    valentin is a good guy.

he won't have a good season like he did this year though

and the way he swings he's gunna tear an oblique muscle or something, its truley frightening
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Well......Javier owns MADDUX

MLB ERA
    No questions about his awesome Hitler mustache?