Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most surpising thing so far

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Most surpising thing so far

A lot of easy ones when it comes to player dissappointments... but I'll go with a positive.

The emergence of Matt Belisle. I personally had very low expectations. I was pumped about getting him originally in the Mercker deal with ATL, but I slowly grew less excited, thinking of him at best a decent middle relief guy. He's really shown a lot to me and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the 5th spot in the rotation sometime this year.

MLB ERA
    I agree.

The Braves thought he was pretty good though, so he must have some talent.

He was hitting 95 MPH on the gun at times today. I definitely think he could become part of our rotation.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Oh I know. I thought he was a steal at the time, I dont know why I soured on him, kind of forget. lol

That's great to hear on his velocity though, I didnt catch the game, just the online boxscore. I know his velocity was down after he went through surgeries with the Braves, so if it's back up to that high, he's got a pretty bright future ahead of himself. Facing the Cards with that kind of success shows me a lot. Great job by Matt.

MLB ERA
    Yeah... he was consistently between 93-95... even right before he left after 5 IP.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I like Belisle right now too and I think he has done well enough to earn the spot starter/long relief position. I just do not want to give up on the talented Hudson yet. We may still have an awesome pitcher virtually unseen this year. I really expected a lot out of him during the off season and am not going to let an injury change that.

Biggest surprise to me has to be Randa. No doubt that this guy was going to be good. But he has been awesome for us. People have compared him to A. Boone, I say he is better. Best 3B we have had in a very long time. I am glad that Larson did not work out.

MLB ERA
    Hudson could end up having a spot before too long if he pitches well and someone else doesn't.

You have to think/know that Wilson, Milton and Ortiz will remain a part of the rotation, and if Belisle stays in there too, Hudson could end up grabbing the 5th slot... if Harang struggles.

Of course Belisle could start struggling and Hudson could take his slot away.

There are several options up and coming with Hudson/Hancock both returning soon.

I hope one of them doesn't involve Hancock starting though. He should be in the pen at most.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I like Belisle right now too and I think he has done well enough to earn the spot starter/long relief position. I just do not want to give up on the talented Hudson yet. We may still have an awesome pitcher virtually unseen this year. I really expected a lot out of him during the off season and am not going to let an injury change that.

Biggest surprise to me has to be Randa. No doubt that this guy was going to be good. But he has been awesome for us. People have compared him to A. Boone, I say he is better. Best 3B we have had in a very long time. I am glad that Larson did not work out.
    Hudson always scared me, even though I have been a big supporter of him. A lot of luck factored into his success last season but there is no doubt about him having legit stuff. I love it that we finally have some young guys with plus stuff, what a change from a few years ago.

Randa is a big surprise for sure and no doubt he is better than Boone. I have yet to see him swing at a pitch that was eye level.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Hudson could end up having a spot before too long if he pitches well and someone else doesn't.

You have to think/know that Wilson, Milton and Ortiz will remain a part of the rotation, and if Belisle stays in there too, Hudson could end up grabbing the 5th slot... if Harang struggles.

Of course Belisle could start struggling and Hudson could take his slot away.

There are several options up and coming with Hudson/Hancock both returning soon.

I hope one of them doesn't involve Hancock starting though. He should be in the pen at most.
    It's nice to finally have options, even if it is a Josh Hancock. Last year we brought up Jesus Sanchez.... ugh.

I do hope if they give him a roster spot isnt at the expense of someone who doesnt deserve to be sent down just because they have options.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    It's nice to finally have options, even if it is a Josh Hancock. Last year we brought up Jesus Sanchez.... ugh.

I do hope if they give him a roster spot isnt at the expense of someone who doesnt deserve to be sent down just because they have options.
    I agree.

The team has some interesting upcoming decisions to make.

They have Hancock/Hudson coming back... so who will be sent to AAA or dumped?

Also, with the way Stratton is hitting at AAA, they are going to have to think of calling him up.

I would call up Dane to be the backup catcher, send Valentin to AAA(or release him) and I'd call up Stratton to replace Cruz, who I'd send to AAA.

Those shakeups could help us out.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I can't see them risking Hudson being claimed because he for sure would. As likely Hancock would as well, but will they demote some one more deserving for the spot just so they can keep him?

I really wished we would of kept Estalella. Either way though, Valentin needs to go. He contributes nothing to this team, at least Dane would give stellar D.

I agree on Stratton. Cruz has never thrilled me despite his success last year, just never bought it I guess.

MLB ERA
    I bet they would demote someone just to keep Hancock(hey, we can say his name now I noticed , although I don't agree with that.

Valentin is a joke.

I don't totally dislike Cruz, but I think Stratton would bring more of a PH spark off the bench, since he would seem to have a decent chance of a HR as a PH with the way he's hitting.

MLB ERA
    Looks like the censure feature is no longer operational.

AAA ERA
    my biggest surprise is def. randa.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    One question: How does Junior not have a HR this season? What, is he going to go 0fer in the HR category but hit for average this season just to shut people up?
    rf28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast