Thread: Reds Notes: Claussen ready after throwing/Aurilia to be back in today's lineup

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Claussen ready after throwing/Aurilia to be back in today's lineup

Claussen ready after throwing

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

ST. LOUIS | — There weren't 30,000 fans in the stands, just a few migrant pigeons, and the hitters weren't wearing their uniform tops. But to Cincinnati Reds pitcher Brandon Claussen it was heaven on a hill.

In the emptiness of a mid-afternoon in Busch Stadium on Tuesday, Claussen pitched a simulated game against teammates. Seventy pitches later, the hitters pronounced the 25-year-old left-hander fit for duty.

Claussen is the only Reds player who hasn't been in a game this season and Manager Dave Miley said he would be available this weekend for bullpen duty against Houston in Great American Ball Park and would start Tuesday against the Chicago Cubs.

"I had no idea he had the movement on his pitches that he showed," outfielder Adam Dunn said after batting against him. "One moved inside on me and he threw a cutter away. He doesn't have to throw hard to get people out."

Jacob Cruz was impressed, too.

"The catcher didn't tell us what was coming and it was not fun," he said. "He gets his pitches over for strikes and moves them around."

Claussen shrugged and said, "I still have a little timing thing I need to work on. But my arm feels good. Yes, it has been difficult, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Just give me the ball and I'll be ready."

Reds are best

SI.com picks the Reds outfield as the best in the National League and second in the majors behind the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, who feature Garrett Anderson, Steve Finley and Vladamir Guerrero.

Says SI, "Even Adam Dunn knows the kicker on this one, 'If we stay healthy, we're right there and hopefully we stay healthy.' "

Dunn was unaware of the designation and said, "Really? Wow, that's pretty good, that's pretty cool. That says a lot ... and might be saying too much."

SI lists the Reds with four outfielders — Dunn, Ken Griffey Jr., Austin Kearns and Wily Mo Pena.

Four Reds outfielders — Dunn, Kearns, Griffey and Ryan Freel, took extra batting practice Tuesday, while Pena did some extra running.

Lineup juggling

Miley continues to lineup-tinker, batting third baseman Joe Randa fourth and dropping right fielder Kearns from fourth to sixth, "Just to take a look at it."

Felipe Lopez started at shortstop Tuesday, "Because we wanted to play him against (pitcher) Jason Marquis and we'll play Rich Aurilia at shortstop (today) against Mark Mulder."

Farm report

The Reds' two Class A teams, Dayton and Sarasota, won only two of their first seven games, each winning one. Louisville (AAA) started fast (4-1). Outfielder Rob Stratton is hitting .358 with four home runs and only two strikeouts in 17 at-bats.

Pitcher Bubba Nelson, exiled to Class AA Chattanooga after his drunken-driving conviction in Sarasota, Fla., during spring training, is working as the Lookouts' closer and has two saves in two opportunities over three innings.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    too bad it was only a simulated game, we need a guy to come in and bust up this loosing streak, he should have pitched instead of Milton the other day no doubt about that

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am looking forward to Claussen's first start!

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I am looking forward to Claussen's first start!
    who needs claussen when Belisle is pitching this good... lol just kidding we need all the good pitchers we can get