Thread: Anyone?

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Anyone?

have ESPN insider, there is an article about Narron wanting Dent (I assume Bucky) on his coaching staff. Anyway, I would like to read the article.....and am too cheap to pay for Insider. Can someone post the article, or at least give me a run down as to what the article says. Much appreciated

MLB ERA
    this is off of the post

Narron wants Dent on staff
    Yanks icon would be bench coach
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter
    Jerry Narron's short list for the lone vacancy on his Reds coaching staff consists of one name: Bucky Dent.

"He's my first choice," Narron said Tuesday. "I was with Bucky in Texas, and he is an outstanding infield instructor. I mean, just outstanding."

Dent, 53, has spent the last three seasons as manager of the Columbus Clippers, the New York Yankees' top minor league affiliate. His record in his second stint as Clippers manager is 233-199 (.539). He also managed Columbus in 1987-89 before taking over the Yankees briefly at the end of the 1989 season and the beginning of 1990.

Dent's relationship with Narron dates to 1979, when the Reds' manager was a rookie catcher with the Yankees and Dent the starting shortstop. The previous fall, Dent had etched his name in baseball lore forever with a game-winning home run that lifted the Yankees past the Boston Red Sox in a one-game playoff.

The pair spent 1995-2001 together on the Rangers' coaching staff, with Dent serving as bench coach and infield instructor and Narron the third base coach before taking over as interim manager in May 2001.

Considering Narron needs a bench coach/infield coach to round out his 2006 Reds staff, Dent would appear to be an ideal fit. But the Reds have not yet received permission from the Yankees to discuss the opening with Dent. Now that the Yankees have been eliminated from the playoffs, Narron said he hopes to interview Dent at the earliest opportunity.

"I definitely would like to talk with Bucky about it, but Bucky belongs to somebody else at the moment," Narron said. "I don't even know, with the Yankees, what they've been doing the last week or so - a coach or a manager in the minor leagues isn't exactly a high priority for them. So it'll be a couple days before we probably know if they'll let him talk with us."

Dent would replace Randy Whisler, the lone member of the existing Reds field staff not offered a contract for next season. Whisler was the first base coach but also handled the infielders the last two seasons. Outfield instructor John Moses, who had finished out the season as the Reds' bench coach, will take over as first base coach.

If Dent is hired, he would become the bench coach, the manager's top lieutenant. If not, Narron said he probably would make third base coach Mark Berry his bench coach and put whoever is hired as the infield instructor in the third base coaching box.

Narron isn't necessarily in a rush to make a hire, but said he would like to move relatively quickly because of the number of managerial openings - and accompanying coaching staff shakeups - around the majors this offseason. The Tigers, Pirates, Dodgers, Athletics, Devil Rays and Marlins will have new managers heading into next year, with more vacancies possible.

"There's going to be a lot of jobs open," Narron said. "(Dent) lives in South Florida, so I don't know if the Marlins might have something, Tampa Bay might have something where he's closer to home. But we'll see. I know there's some very good people out there."

One other possible candidate for the Reds' staff is Rich Dauer, who was fired by Milwaukee at the end of the season after spending three years as the Brewers' bench coach and infield instructor.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    many thanks