Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Narron wants Bucky Dent on staff

Narron wants Dent on staff
    Yanks icon would be bench coach
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Jerry Narron's short list for the lone vacancy on his Reds coaching staff consists of one name: Bucky Dent.

"He's my first choice," Narron said Tuesday. "I was with Bucky in Texas, and he is an outstanding infield instructor. I mean, just outstanding."

Dent, 53, has spent the last three seasons as manager of the Columbus Clippers, the New York Yankees' top minor league affiliate. His record in his second stint as Clippers manager is 233-199 (.539). He also managed Columbus in 1987-89 before taking over the Yankees briefly at the end of the 1989 season and the beginning of 1990.

Dent's relationship with Narron dates to 1979, when the Reds' manager was a rookie catcher with the Yankees and Dent the starting shortstop. The previous fall, Dent had etched his name in baseball lore forever with a game-winning home run that lifted the Yankees past the Boston Red Sox in a one-game playoff.

The pair spent 1995-2001 together on the Rangers' coaching staff, with Dent serving as bench coach and infield instructor and Narron the third base coach before taking over as interim manager in May 2001.

Considering Narron needs a bench coach/infield coach to round out his 2006 Reds staff, Dent would appear to be an ideal fit. But the Reds have not yet received permission from the Yankees to discuss the opening with Dent. Now that the Yankees have been eliminated from the playoffs, Narron said he hopes to interview Dent at the earliest opportunity.

"I definitely would like to talk with Bucky about it, but Bucky belongs to somebody else at the moment," Narron said. "I don't even know, with the Yankees, what they've been doing the last week or so - a coach or a manager in the minor leagues isn't exactly a high priority for them. So it'll be a couple days before we probably know if they'll let him talk with us."
    Click here for the rest

bleep
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Oh yay. In the summer of 2007, we'll get to have Bucky effing Dent as manager. Yippee!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    No approval for Dent, Newman. The Reds requested permission to speak to Bucky Dent about their bench coach job and the Diamondbacks requested permission to speak to Mark Newman about their GM job, but Steinbrenner has not given approval for either. In Dent's case, his contract expires Oct. 31, giving him a chance to leave.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printe...y-sports-print

MLB ERA
    No point in proceeding after him for the third base coaching position and having to "give up something" in return if hes got a week left in his present contract. Just wait til its up and then talk with him.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    BUCKING THE YANKS: Bucky Dent could find out today whether he is on his way out of the Yankee organization. Dent, the former shortstop who is the manager of the Yanks' Triple-A Columbus farm club, could be a candidate for a coaching job with the Reds, working for his old pal Jerry Narron.

The Reds have requested permission to interview Dent, but the Yankees haven't granted it. Dent said his contract with the Yankees expires today, which could give him a chance to interview and possibly join Cincinnati. "Hopefully, I'll find out something (today)," Dent said yesterday in a telephone interview.

Dent said he did not know why the Yanks had refused permission for an interview. Teams normally allow their employees to interview for jobs that are considered a promotion, which a coaching position in the majors would be for Dent.

Dent, 53, worked with Narron, the Reds' manager, in Texas and both were teammates on the Yankees in 1979.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-307482c.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Bucky Dent's contract with the New York Yankees reportedly expired Monday, but that didn't result in any immediate movement from the Reds.

Cincinnati manager Jerry Narron said three weeks ago he wanted to hire Dent, who spent the last three seasons as manager of the Yankees' Class AAA affiliate in Columbus, as his bench coach and infield instructor. But the Yankees have never granted the Reds permission to so much as interview the former big-league shortstop for the job.

Dent told the New York Daily News over the weekend that he hoped to have his status clarified by the Yankees by Monday, but no word was forthcoming by the end of the business day. Earlier Monday, through an intermediary, Dent declined to comment about the Reds job.

Nothing changed on the Reds' side of the table Monday, as general manager Dan O'Brien said the club was committed to going through the proper channels before approaching Dent.

"The Yankees have started their organizational meetings, and I'm sure you have noticed that they've let numerous members of their coaching staff go," O'Brien said. "That may or may not be why this has been protracted. But as of this moment, we're still in a holding pattern. Until we hear back from the Yankees, we can't consider him a candidate."

There has been significant movement on manager Joe Torre's staff, as bench coach Joe Girardi and longtime pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre departed on their own and first base coach Roy White and bullpen coach Neil Allen were told they wouldn't be back. There have been reports that third base coach Luis Sojo will also be gone, and his position on the field has already been filled by former Philadelphia manager Larry Bowa, who was hired last week.

Numerous names have been floated as candidates for those vacancies, but Dent's name hasn't been one of them. Still, that may be at least a partial reason for the delay in allowing him to talk to the Reds.

Narron has said he is in no hurry to make a hire for the only vacancy on his coaching staff.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....511010320/1035

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    OK given to talk to Dent

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

Buried in the hubbub surrounding the Reds' impending sale Wednesday, the team made some progress toward completing its offseason checklist.

Approximately three weeks after the Reds asked the New York Yankees for permission to speak with Bucky Dent about a position on Jerry Narron's coaching staff, their request finally was granted late Wednesday afternoon.

The call from New York - where the Yankees were in the midst of their organizational meetings - came "out of the blue," said Reds general manager Dan O'Brien.

O'Brien said he hoped to get in touch with Dent sometime Wednesday evening to talk about the Reds' opening.

"I don't know that a formal interview is in the offing, per se," said O'Brien. "There will be some dialogue regarding specifics and how the job is to be structured and how we feel that he fits into the potential plans, and then obviously it's a matter of Bucky expressing his thoughts, because we have not had the opportunity to even have a preliminary conversation. So it's just Step One, the initial discussion."

Narron said in an interview last month that Dent was his "first choice" for the job.

Dent would become the Reds' bench coach and infield instructor, filling the lone vacancy on the staff. Randy Whisler, who coached first base and worked with the infield- ers the last two seasons, was not invited back for 2006. Outfield and baserunning instructor John Moses, who spent much of the season as Narron's bench coach, is slated to take over first base coaching duties.

Dent spent the last three seasons as manager of the Yankees' Class AAA Columbus affiliate, compiling a 233-199 (.539) record. He and Narron know each other from their playing days with the Yankees in the late 1970s and they served together on manager Johnny Oates' coaching staff in Texas from 1995-2001.

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....511030317/1035

MLB ERA
    Well, Dent was hired today. Boooo.

It would be a shame if the new ownership decided to clean house and Dent is on his way out after just being hired.

MLB ERA
    Narron will almost certainly stay around for this year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am not too sure what to think on Dent since I am not very familiar with his coaching style. But whatever makes Narron happy I guess. I knew it was coming though after all the talk. I just hope he knows a little bit about coaching the infield as it was one of Whisler's primary jobs.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    "It's well known in the industry that [Dent] is one of the best infield instructors and teachers in the game," general manager Dan O'Brien said. "He's going to be a real asset for some of the younger members of the infield."

I guess that answers my question.

I hope he helps out our young left side of the infield and with this being said about him, I couldn't expect things to get worse. This may be a great signing afterall. We will see what he can do with the infield this season.

MLB ERA
    I'm not worried about Dent's ability to coach the infield. I honestly don't care. I'm worried about him becoming manager when Narron gets fired, which will probably happen knowing this organization.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Very true Geki. It is a constant chain. But, we do have a new owner coming in to perhaps make things different. Hopefully this trend is dead. to be honest, I am hoping for the best from Narron. I expected a lot out of Miley this season after his 2004 campaign. Now I am feeling close to that for Narron. I know he isn't the best possible manager for this team, but he can be solid. I am almost excited about both Narron and Ruhle right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast