Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: McCoy -- Reds should trade both Kearns, Pena for pitching

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    k, that makes sense then...I just didn't hear about it as much as you guys have.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Breaking News...... Kearns isn't that good an injury prone. That why I said he should have been traded ages ago when his value was high and teams like the Cubs needed OFers. Pena has some power but not that great either. Both strikeout way too much. Problem is when teams were deperate and the Reds could use that opportunity to do something, they blew it by asking way too much for these guys.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    If Penny is there for 3-5 mil I would gamble and take spend it on him for a 2 yr deal with a 3rd yr team option for 6-8 mil as an added incentive for him to pitch well. And get him in to work out with Harang.
    Brad Penny? He re-signed with LA for 3 years.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Brad Penny? He re-signed with LA for 3 years.
    Ok scratch that, I was going on names based on that site that I guess hasnt updated with those that signed extensions.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Excellent points here guys. I am glad many people are talking on this one. here is how I see it.

First of all, for our offseason agenda, we have to find out how much the Reds will have to spend. Once we see that number, we will have a rough estimate of what we will go after.

We know that with this offense, we could win it all if we got some good pitching to go with it. We already have Harang as a bonafide good pitcher now. Claussen may fall under him and keep on improving.

But FA won't come here cheap. It is the Milton syndrome, pitchers will get hit hard at GABP and will not come here without a guarantee in contention (we don't have yet) and without taking the bank from the Reds. This means we would have to get rid of Griffey, Milton, or Casey's contract along with Ortiz's just to sign Dunn long term and possible give a good pitcher a huge contract.

It is possible, but it is not naming Kearns or Pena as possible send offs. Just the way I see our FO handling money now days.

MLB ERA
    I don't know what kind of crack you'd have to be on to think getting Brad Penny for 3-5 million is a possibility. He'd probably get 9-10 million per year on the open market.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12