Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

All coaches besides Whisler asked to return

Whisler is only coaching casualty
    Narron asks all others to return
    By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

Reds manager Jerry Narron said he had the power to choose his coaching staff.

So it was his choice to invite back everyone from last year's staff - except first base coach Randy Whisler.

"I called Randy Whisler (Friday) to tell him he won't be back," Narron said. "Everyone (else) will be back - unless they don't want to be."

That group includes hitting coach Chris Chambliss, pitching coach Vern Ruhle, third base coach Mark Berry, bullpen coach Tom Hume, bench coach John Moses and bullpen catcher Mike Stefanski.

Given the tenuous situation the Reds are in - Narron and general manager Dan O'Brien are under contract for only 2006 - Narron understands if some coaches want to look elsewhere.

"Everyone wants a 10-year deal and to make lots of money," he said. "But I hope they're back with the Cincinnati Reds."

The most marketable of the coaches is Chambliss. He said after the season he would like to return.

The Reds have made great offensive strides under Chambliss. The year before he took over, they were 13th in the National League in runs and slugging percentage and 14th in on-base percentage. Last year, they were 10th in runs and ninth in slugging and on-base percentage. This season, they were first in runs and slugging and fourth in on-base percentage.

Ruhle was promoted from minor-league pitching coordinator to big-league pitching coach the same day Narron took over as interim manager for Dave Miley. The Reds had 5.66 team ERA before the change and 4.77 after it.

Whisler was also the infield instructor, so whomever replaces him likely will take over that job.
    Article Link

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fella's, let me tell you something about the Reds. They love any and all ties to Cincinnati. Loyalty is valued over talent. And more often than not, the status quo is optimal. I am not saying everyone should of been replaced, hell Chambliss needs a longterm deal, but what really gets me worked up is the lack of effort. Why not at least look around? You can't tell me that this is the cream of the crop per each coach. You wouldn't want to go to a car lot, take a look at one car and decide that is the one before looking at the rest. But the Reds would make that kind of un-informed decision.

Then again I was saying more or less the same thing in regards to Narron getting the interim tag removed before they could even shop around. Monkey see, monkey do.

MLB ERA
    As I've said many times I thought Pinella would be the perfect guy for this team. But I would have never dreamed that Macha would not be resigned by the A's after the job he did for them with the restrictions he had based on salary. It would have done wonders for the reds to at least look at potential manager replacements.

The players may like Narron, but they also liked Miley and by the end... well you know how that worked out.

I really wish the Reds had given it more time, with the understanding of Narron that hed be reassigned to his old job and a thanks for filling in after Miley, if someone else was hired.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Are we already at that point? Are the Reds still looking for mediocrity? I am not sure, I am taking the statement Narron said;

"Everyone wants a 10-year deal and to make lots of money," he said. "But I hope they're back with the Cincinnati Reds." (Narron)

And I am feeling like he may have tried to look elsewhere, but the money was to demanding elsewhere. So, maybe the FO is looking to use some money on pitching? Its a theory, but it could be true. I truly hope so.

Also, I wonder who our new infield coach will be. We could obviously use a little help in this area, especially with our young infield.

MLB ERA
    I really don't see a point in letting Whisler go.