Thread: Notes: Lopez waits his turn

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Notes: Lopez waits his turn

HOUSTON -- Three days might not seem very long in the real world, but they can be an eternity for a ballplayer.

And for shortstop Felipe Lopez, waiting three days to get in the Reds lineup, as he did before spelling Rich Aurilia for Sunday's game against the Astros, was frustrating. He admitted such a wait can throw a player off his game.

"It's tough not being in the lineup and then getting out there," Lopez said. "You lose your timing. The fastballs look a little bit faster."

But it's a role Lopez is going to have to get accustomed to, at least for now. He is the backup to Aurilia, and the backup will often have to wait three days, or perhaps longer, to get playing time.

Lopez, though, could be forgiven if he has any gripes about his situation, because he fought admirably for the starting spot in Spring Training.

"I didn't feel any pressure in Spring Training," he said. "I did a good job."
    Click Here

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I really hope this does not effect Lopez' attitude about the organization. But honestly I would be pissed. This guy won the job, and is now being stiffed out of an opportunity and will not play as well as he should due to lack of playing time. Again, Aurilia really has not impressed me enough even though I gave him the MVP the other night.

MLB ERA
    As I and others have been saying... Lopez NEEDS PT. I expect he'll start hitting fairly well if he can play for more than one day in a row.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    As I and others have been saying... Lopez NEEDS PT. I expect he'll start hitting fairly well if he can play for more than one day in a row.
    I totally agree CRF. He really started to hit the ball well at the end of last year. I think even more important than getting AB is him getting chances in the field. Hes never going to learn how to make the throw to first from the dugout. Play him everyday and have Aurilia backup when he needs a dayoff.

MLB ERA
    Yup. I agree with all of that.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AAA ERA
    Lopez nees PT, but WMP needs it way more i think, As much as i complain about FeLo's arm, and i get on him, and as much as i really wanted Aurilia to be the stud he once was, it was really not a great move, we need to find out right now if FeLo is the SS of the future and we are not going to find that out by starting Rich everyday

AA ERA
    I agree that Pena needs the PT even more the FeLo, but at least Pena doesnt have useless players playing in front of him.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    I agree that Pena needs the PT even more the FeLo, but at least Pena doesnt have useless players playing in front of him.
    yeah you got me there