Thread: Narron's Top Priority: Get Aurilia

Narron's Top Priority: Get Aurilia

MILWAUKEE - Reds manager Jerry Narron has been fairly effusive with his praise for Rich Aurilia this season.

Narron, obviously, would like Aurilia back for 2006. Aurilia and the club have a mutual option that would pay Aurilia $2 million for '06.

But it won't be an easy sell to get Aurilia to agree to come back.

"I've got to sit down after the season with my family and decide," he said.

"In a week, I might have a different answer. Even with all the stuff with me not being happy about my playing time, I enjoyed my time here. I have to weigh that with what's best for me."

Aurilia's hitting .281 with 14 home runs and 68 RBI in 417 at-bats. He leads the team with a .349 average with runners in scoring position.

He can play second, shortstop or third, so he's a valuable piece for any manager.

But Narron will have to convince Aurilia that he can give him enough playing time to keep him happy.

It's unlikely that Reds will promise Aurilia a starting job. They like Ryan Freel at second and in the leadoff spot. Edwin Encarnacion is the future at third base.

"I think I've proven I can play every day," he said. "I'm not getting any younger. I want to win again. I have to go where I'm most comfortable and most useful."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

good lord. now somehow we're begging rich aurilia to let us pay him 2 mil, and he's thinking about turning it down? Well, i certainly hope he does, that's all i can say.

He's bounced back a lto this year and i'll giv ehim credit for that, and for being a jerk and a devisive influence. he's had a great second half. Can we expect anything like it again? who knows?

BUT, if we are determined to have him play second this is what we HAVE to do:

We have to communicate with our players a lot better than we did this year.

We have to tell all of them that ryan freel is going to start all but one or two games in a week (normally), because we need him as a leadoff guy.

We have to explain that Freel will rotate in at different positions to give people days off throughout the week.

Freel can sub for everyone on the field except for the catcher by moving aurilia to short some days, and Dunn to 1st some days, so there will be less than one day off per week for other players.

We have to explain that this will mean slightly less PA for everyone on the year, but that with any luck it might save people some time on the DL, and when we are playing meaningful games in september, we will be more rested and injury free than most teams.

This will mean very little consistency in the lineup, but when have we ever had that? Narron should then make a depth chart for batting order and use it. get the best person you have for a given spot in the lineup in that spot everyday. I would say:

1st freel, lopez, casey
    2nd lopez, dunn, aurilia
    3rd dunn, griffey, lopez
    4th griffey, dunn, kearns/pena
    5th kearns/pena, casey, aurilia
    6th casey, aurilia, larue/valentin
    7th larue/valentin, kearns/pena, encarnacion
    8th encarnacion, larue/valentin
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Aurilia is not included in our longterm plan, despite having an overall nice season considering the price tag we have to play who we think will be here for the next few seasons at least. Bring in a solid utility player because we all know Freel is suspect to various injuries throughout the season and call up Bergolla if he looks more prepared if needed.

MLB ERA
    Aurilia does not hit on the road, and he's a whiny little whore. I bet we could find another player with a tiny bit of power who can come in and watch his flyballs find their way into the stands without being a jackass about playing time.