Thread: who's to blame for winning ways?

who's to blame for winning ways?

Seems like everyday, one reds media outlet or another is out their campaigning for Jerry Narron's job. "the reds should bring him back...can't argue with the success... might miss their window... players support him." We've all heard it 1000 times by now.

But didn't we just go through this with Miley? Did he have some late season success? Didn't the players support him (because who would come out and say that they didn't)? Weren't all the reporters calling for the interim title to be removed in the season?

I'll tell you what... i don't see it with Narron. I like his style more than Miley's, for sure, but where are the fundamentals he preaches? And didn't miley harp on that too? Remember the extra fielding practice and bunting practice for pitchers?

Under Narron the reds are 45-41 under Narron, which isn't terrible, but it's not exaclty overwhelming success either. Most of what's improved has been the pitching, and a lot of that can be attributed to Rhule and the natural ups and downs of a season.

I'm not saying that we should run Narron out of town, but i would hate to have another Miley if we could get a good manager, just because Narron came in when the reds were due for a little upswing.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't buy Narron. The wins we have had mostly can be chalked up to our stud offense and somewhat improved pitching due to Rhule. Is he an awful manager? I don't think so, but I don't think he is that good either. What has he done differently than Miley? I really can't think of much and truth be told, I think they are cut from the same cloth. He is better than Miley but there are some moves I really don't understand with him. Aurilia batting 3rd/4th? Pena's lack of playing time with Griffey out? In other words, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he remains on but there are better options out there and I hope we explore them before giving him a contract and removing the interim tag.

MLB ERA
    I think he's pretty bad. Miley at least had a track record of winning in the minor leagues. Batting Aurilia 3rd/4th over and over again is ridiculous, as is not playing EdE more(in favor of Aurilia of course). And I certainly haven't seen those "little things" he goes on and on about improved.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Get a real manager, a real GM, and some real pitching. That's all the advice I have for the owners.

MLB ERA
    Hey now, Rich Aurilia is the team MVP!