Tough start plagues Kearns

By Marc Lancaster
Post staff reporter

HOUSTON - It's hard to get excited about grounding into an inning-ending fielder's choice, but Austin Kearns was just about at that point Saturday night.

His tapper to short to end the fifth snapped a string of six consecutive strikeouts - all swinging - against Astros pitching in the first two games of the series.

"I was just glad to finally put an end to it," said Kearns, "because I was definitely getting reminded every time I went back out in the field how many I had in a row."

A single in Kearns' next at-bat snapped a 0-for-10 slide, but Reds manager Dave Miley still gave Kearns the day off Sunday. Kearns understood but wasn't thrilled about it. For a hitter who usually doesn't have that much trouble making contact, the skid was embarrassing for Kearns. Coming in the midst of a tough start to the season at the plate, it was even worse.

Sunday's rest and today's travel day will give Kearns plenty to think about what has gone wrong in his 4-for-18 start, even if that might be the last thing he needs.

"The only way you can get out of it is by being in there," he said. "It's a funny game. To feel so good all spring, and then come in here and the season starts and I'm scuffling, trying to find it again. It keeps you humbled."

Kearns was the Reds' best hitter throughout Grapefruit League play, hitting .324 (23-for-71) with nine doubles. His performance in Florida, reminiscent of his time with the Reds before a series of injuries dragged him down the last two seasons, had indicated he was back to his old self.

The first week of play hasn't borne that out, which Kearns admitted is bothering him.

"It shouldn't, but I think I've been thinking a lot, trying to do too much lately," he said. "I can be guilty of that. I don't know if it's because I've missed so much time and I want to hurry up and start doing well again or what. I need to just relax like I was in spring training."

Some on Randa and the team ready for STL.
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs....504110327/1027