Thread: Reds extend Steve Stewart's contract

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds extend Steve Stewart's contract

09/21/2005 3:21 PM ET
    Reds extend Steve Stewart's contract
    Reds on radio broadcaster signs through '06

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds chief operating officer John Allen today announced that Steve Stewart has agreed to a 1-year contract extension as a broadcaster on radio rightsholder 700 WLW.

Stewart, 42, is signed to work through the 2006 season alongside Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman. The 14-year baseball broadcast veteran originally signed a 2-year deal to broadcast Reds on Radio on February 11, 2004.

Prior to joining the Reds, Stewart worked for WBAL-AM 1090 in Baltimore, the flagship station of the Orioles, covering 25-30 games a year for 4 seasons as the team's third radio broadcaster. He filled in as a sports anchor at WBAL-TV 11 and broadcast the morning drive sports reports on WBAL Radio.

In 2002, Stewart filled in as play-by-play announcer for the St. Louis Cardinals on KMOX Radio. He worked 4 seasons in the minor leagues calling games for the Class AAA Calgary Cannons on CKO and CJSW Radio (1987) and the Class AAA Richmond Braves on WRNL Radio (1993-95). He also worked 4 seasons broadcasting baseball for the University of South Carolina on WVOC Radio (1996-99).

A St. Louis native, Stewart began his broadcasting career in 1981 as the announcer for Southern Methodist University football and basketball broadcasts on campus radio station KSMU in Dallas. His career also includes stints as a play-by-play broadcaster for Major Indoor Soccer League teams in Dallas and St. Louis, Randolph-Macon College football, Virginia Union University basketball and Colonial Athletic Association basketball. He also worked as the network host for University of South Carolina men's basketball and football broadcasts.

Stewart has broadcast University of Maryland men and women's basketball games and spent 5 years as a television news and sports anchor/reporter in Nebraska, Illinois and Missouri. In 1985 Stewart graduated from Southern Methodist University with a degree in broadcast news, with a concentration in political science.

The 2005 season was Stewart's second in the Reds on Radio broadcast booth. Brennaman, a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Radio Hall of Fame and National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association Hall of Fame, is under contract through 2007.
    Article Link

MLB ERA
    Meh. He's decent, I guess. They really need to get Dan Hoard announcing every game on TV, though.

i like SS. it took me a while to come around on him, partly because i think it took him and marty a while to get their repore down, and partly because i just wanted joe to be there, but i think he does a pretty good job. And have you ever heard him miss a trivia answer?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I think he's good at times and not so good at other times. His HR calls leave something to be desired, IMO. You can't tell how well the ball is hit and his voice wavers from loud/excited to soft/normal-toned.

I don't think he's even remotely in Marty's league at this point.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I'm not too big of a fan of his. But he is a nice guy to say the least....

He can just be soooooo boring at times. I still think Tracy Jones would have been the better and more exciting choice.

i like tracy for the most part, but he and marty have had a beef for years.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I think a Tracy/Marty team would have been very dynamic. I would have liked that a lot.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I would've liked that if Tracy Jones wasn't such a douchebag.