Thread: Dunn not interested in a switch to 1st

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dunn not interested in a switch to 1st

Notes: Dunn fills in at first
    Converted outfielder not interested in permanent switch
    By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- For Adam Dunn, playing first base is no sweat.

And therein lies the problem.

Dunn's a man who likes to move. He doesn't want to be tied down to a bag, waiting to scoop up throws from fellow infielders.

"You don't move enough at first base," he said. "At least once, twice or three times a game, you run after balls and it kind of loosens you up. But when you first get to the bag, you just stand around. I just don't build up a good sweat over there."

That's not to say Dunn isn't comfortable with the position, because he is.

"I've never not felt comfortable there," he said. "I've played it a long time, so it's a natural position. I don't care if I don't play there for three months and all of a sudden get sent in for one game. I don't feel out of place."

It's a good thing Dunn feels that way, because he'll be in that place quite a bit this week. With Sean Casey out of commission after Friday night's collision with Humberto Cota, Dunn is the go-to guy at first.

And as far as manager Jerry Narron is concerned, Dunn could handle the job full-time if needed.

"He knows how to play it," Narron said. "If he's in there any extended period of time, he'd be fine. When he's over there, there might be times when he's not mentally where he's supposed to be, but he's been pretty sharp."

On Sunday, Dunn made his 18th start of the season and the 91st start of his career at first base.

In the end, though, Dunn knows where his true home is, and that's left field.

While some fans who have called for the Reds to trade Casey and move Dunn to first base to clear up the outfield logjam, the big, young Texan said he has no intention of playing first permanently. At least not at this stage of his career.

"I like to run around in the outfield," he said. "I don't like just standing around. [Playing first base permanently] is definitely something I don't see myself doing for a while."
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    I'm sure he'd learn to like it if we traded Casey.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    I don't think I've noticed him working up a sweat running after balls in the outfield very often, to be honest.

I think Griffey should move to first.

MLB ERA
    Griffey moving to 1st would be a massive waste.

For now i think all of our OFs have shown they can play the field, though Dunn would be the obvious choice if you were going to move someone because he's familiar there and is a large target.

We have one more year of Casey, and hopefully he can get back to the 50 doubles range next year with maybe 15 hr and a lot less gidp. That would be a huge asset to our offense. Then we'll see. Maybe Votto will be ready, maybe casey will take a one year transistion deal, or we'll have to get a stop gap.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford