ESPN has ranked the 17 teams currently out of it in terms of how much hope they have for making the post season next year. They have put the reds at 10nth, but that's behind ALL 3 of the AL east teams who are out of it, so take their rankings for what they're worth.

I know that some people on this board won't be happy with their suggestions. All i can say is it was a great season for Grif, but i wouldn't mind if he was on the white sox DL right now.

10. Cincinnati Reds: The Reds have real power production. Their biggest problem is that they just can't keep the ball in the park when their pitchers are on the mound at home in Great American Ball Park, which is very much a hitters' park. They must find pitching. Not many free-agent pitchers are going to agree to pitch at Great American Ball Park because of the way the ball flies out of there. Thus, the Reds need to develop their own pitchers or trade for them.

The good news is that they have a chip in Adam Dunn that they can deal to get some pitching. The bad news is that I am not sure they are willing to move Dunn. I know he is good, but that is why he will bring back the pitching they so desperately need. Next year, Ken Griffey Jr. and Dunn will combine to earn about $23 million of a $50 million payroll. That means that 23 other players must split $27 million. Sean Casey and Eric Milton are slated to make about $8 million each, which leaves only $11 million for the other 21 players on the roster.

That just doesn't work. The hope for the future is Adam Dunn, not what he will deliver on the field but rather what he delivers in the trade market.