Perez is relishing first taste of bigs
Youngster could be the Reds' catcher of the future

By John Erardi
Enquirer staff writer

Miguel Perez, 21, was only two years old when another Venezuelan catcher, Bo Diaz, put on a Reds uniform for the first time in 1985. The next season, Diaz anchored a good Reds pitching staff, and in 1987 was named to the National League All-Star team.

"Of course, I know about Bo Diaz - he's from Venezuela!" exclaimed Perez, who made his major-league debut for the Reds Wednesday. "I know all about the players from Venezuela - Luis Aparicio, Dave Concepcion, Andres Galarraga, the Big Cat. It's a big deal when any player from Venezuela makes it to the major leagues. But the idea is to stay there, and I'm a long way from that."

Because of the unique skills required for a catcher, their track to the major leagues is more greased than for other position players. But because of the demands of the job - a selfless and savvy dedication to elevate the performance of a pitching staff, and enough offense to keep the lineup alive - it is harder to stay.

Remember Glenn Sutko, Terry McGriff and Steve Christmas? Flashes in the pan, all.

Perez wouldn't be here if regular Triple-A catcher Dane Sardinha hadn't gotten hurt toward the end of the season. Perez went from high-A Sarasota to Triple-A.

"You got a sport coat?" Triple-A manager Rick Sweet asked Perez last Monday in Columbus, where Louisville was finishing its season.

"Why do I need a sport coat?" asked a perplexed Perez.

"Because you're going to need one in the big leagues," Sweet said.

"No!" said Perez, who felt the tears come to his eyes.
Click here for the rest