Thread: Reds not counting out Griffey's return this season

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds not counting out Griffey's return this season

CINCINNATI -- The Reds expect Ken Griffey Jr. to play again this season, contrary to reports suggesting his season might be over after the star center fielder strained his right foot rounding second base.

Griffey has been listed as day to day since Sunday, when he rolled his foot during the 12th inning of Cincinnati's 8-3 win at Atlanta. The team said Monday an MRI revealed the strain.

The Dayton Daily News reported in its Wednesday edition Griffey's injury could be more serious than the sprain

A source said Griffey actually pulled part of a tendon off the bone, "Potentially a serious situation, potentially a season-ending injury," the source told the paper.

Trainer Mark Mann said it would be "premature at this point" to say surgery would be necessary, and "we fully expect him to play again in the 2005 season." Two years ago, Griffey required season-ending surgery on his right ankle.

"The MRI showed nothing like what he had a couple of years ago with his ankle," Mann said. "It's not as if he pulled it off the bone. It does show inflammation in the area. A strain by definition does involve inflammation of the tissue, and it can be associated with a tear."

Griffey, whose Reds are in fifth place in the NL Central, ran in the tunnel and hit in indoor batting cages during Tuesday's night game against Milwaukee. When asked when he'd be ready to play, he said: "As soon as I feel I can do what I need to do."

Griffey is hitting .301 with 35 home runs and 92 RBI in 128 games, the most since he played in 145 games in 2000, his first season with the Reds. His solo home run on Sunday in Atlanta was the 536th of his career, tying him with Mickey Mantle for 12th place on the career list.

Griffey played in a total of 136 games over the previous two seasons, none after Aug. 16, 2004, when he underwent surgery for a torn right hamstring.
    Article Link

MLB ERA
    I wonder why once source said he pulled part of the tendon off and now Mann and crew act like it's not off the bone at all. Until I see Griffey playing on Friday, I will be skeptical of anything the medical staff says.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why wouldn't the Reds want him back next year? He finally proved he can play in Cincy. I wish he would restructure his contract so that the Reds could get some decent pitching.