Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Junior joking is a good sign

Junior joking is a good sign
    Outfielder may return Friday
    By John Erardi
    Enquirer staff writer

Ken Griffey Jr. was kidding around - that's the first good sign the injury of his right foot may not be too serious - with teammate Sean Casey before Monday's game.

"Hey, I can out-run you, 'Case,' " Griffey chirped.

"You're playin' then?" Casey asked.

"No, I can run, but I can't stop," Griffey answered, grinning.

Which, in fact, is a pretty good description of the nature of the injury Griffey suffered in Sunday's game in Atlanta when he strained a tendon in his foot coming around second base.

Once Griffey gets going, he can run, but it's getting started and turning a corner - and, yes, stopping - that are the problems. No. 30 was out of the lineup Monday, and likely will be out of it again today, but maybe after that he can give it a try, said Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek. That, though, is up to Reds management. It might wait until Friday, just to give Griffey two more games off and the regular off day Thursday.

These type injuries can be kind of touchy, Kremchek said. Nobody's going to run Griffey back out there unless they're sure.

But one thing is sure: There aren't many Griffey critics out there. Not given the year he's had following season-ending surgery on August 16, 2004, to repair a complete tear of his right hamstring. Kremchek re-attached the tendon to the bone with three screws.

All Griffey has done so far - including a slow April - is hit 35 home runs, knock in 92 runs and hit .301, to re-establish himself as one of the game's elite players. Monday's game was the first one he has missed this season because of injury.

Turns out Griffey must have had a premonition he was going to have a good year, despite the uncertainty of his surgery.

During spring training, Griffey made Kremchek promise him that if Griffey hit 50 home runs, the good doctor would shave his head right down to the skin and go with the bald head-and-sideburns look made famous by NBA star Shaquille O'Neal.

Kremchek thought it over a moment or two and then told Griffey, "OK, you're on."
    Click here for the rest

MLB ERA
    Kremchek would look awesome like that. I've met him a few times since my grandpa was a pharmaceutical consultant for Searle/Pfizer, so he dealt with Kremchek a lot and got some nice tickets. The good 'ole yellow seats at Cinergy. Those were my favorite anyways, since they were always in the shade.

I remember the yellow seats. They were the only padded seats I believe. Also my favorite.

MLB ERA
    Yellow seats: where I sat for my first Reds game back at the beginning of the 1990 season.

Little did I know that later in the season I would experience not only my first World Series game ever, but one of the best games ever.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    That would be hilarious. Kremcheck would look ridiculous like that. Too bad its not likely Griffey will get to 50 though. Otherwise, we would be picture hunting the day he got it.