Thread: Narron considred for NL manager of the year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Narron considred for NL manager of the year.

Narron turns Reds around, but is it enough?

Former Rangers manager should get award consideration

Jerry Narron deserves mention in the National League Manager of the Year voting. He has made the Cincinnati situation something other than hopeless.

With Cincinnati at 27-43 and 18 ½ games out in the NL Central on June 21, Narron replaced Dave Miley as manager. The change in the Reds has been startling.

The Reds went into Thursday's game against Houston at 35-27 with Narron as interim manager, fourth-best record in the National League during that span.

Cincinnati also had the league's second-best record (27-17) since the All-Star break.

The Reds had every reason to quit on the season. Instead, they have responded to Narron.

"Jerry took over a tough situation," Reds general manager Dan O'Brien said in a telephone conversation. "With where we were at, it was a tremendous challenge. We were not playing well."

Narron has been here before. He took over another downtrodden team in 2001.

When Johnny Oates resigned with the Rangers at 11-17, the club turned to Narron. He was 134-162 when fired by general manager John Hart after the 2002 season.

Narron never had a chance.

Narron saved the Rangers from themselves by fighting to keep infielder Michael Young and broke in third baseman Hank Blalock and closer Francisco Cordero. The Rangers are better for what Narron did.

None of that mattered. Like most general managers, Hart wanted his choice as manager.

Narron accepted that. He also understands he could be in the right place at the wrong time again.

O'Brien said no decision will be made on Narron's status until after the season. Before that, the ownership situation must be sorted out. The club is for sale, and new ownership could want changes.

"The length of time I'm here is not in my hands," Narron said. "But while I'm here, I'm going to do everything I can to get these guys to play the game the right way."

That is Narron's mantra.

By the numbers, the biggest change with the Reds has been the pitching. With Miley, the Reds had a 5.66 ERA. Cincinnati started the Houston series with a 4.47 ERA since the managerial change.

A switch at pitching coach figured in that. When O'Brien dumped Miley, he also removed local icon Don Gullett as pitching coach, replacing him with Vern Ruhle.

Narron has concentrated on how the Reds play.

Sloppy victories are deceiving, Narron said, because eventually that style turns against a team. He wants the Reds to understand the importance of consistent and solid play over the long season.

It is an important message for a team that has a large collection of bright young talent. Infielders Felipe Lopez and Edwin Encarnacion and outfielders Adam Dunn, Austin Kearns and Willy Mo Pena are all 25 or younger. It is important, Narron said, that they learn good habits now.

"Jerry has emphasized what needs to be done day in and day out," O'Brien said. "Wins will take care of themselves if we achieve that. We have made tremendous progress in that regard."

There is much more to do.

The Reds probably will finish with a losing record for the fifth consecutive season. That will be the franchise's longest stretch of futility since the 11-season drought of 1945-55. Jerry Narron has shown the Reds there is a way out.

http://www.strike3forums.com/forums/...newthread&f=28

MLB ERA
    Meh, I don't think he should be considered. He's done well, but it's not like the Reds are contending right now.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    There is no way he will be considered, but I agree, he has done a pretty good job. I feel like we have come full circle as to where we were last season. Remember our feelings of Miley when he first came in for the Reds last season? Wee feeling the same as we do now about Narron.

MLB ERA
    I don't think he's done a great job. The team still makes tons of funadmental errors like being unable to get bunts down, etc. His lineups are usually awful an inconsistent and I don't see him come out and argue with the umps. or anything very often. I would give more of the credit to Vern Ruhle than Narron. The pitching has been the big reason behind our slightly better play since Narron took over as Manager.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.