Thread: It Was 30 Years Ago Today......

Rookie ERA

It Was 30 Years Ago Today......

As a big fan of baseball, I was 11 when I realized what a real baseball team was. I watched my Astros at the Astrodome or on local TV every chance I got. The Reds were a hated rival of the Astros and they beat them pretty soundly as the Astros were a woeful team. I didn't want to admit it back then but the Reds in 1975 were a team that would go down in history abd would be one that I would admire forever.

The Reds had a lineup that was daunting. They had 3B Pete Rose leading off, followed by 2B Joe Morgan, and the great C. Johnny Bench, as the first three batters and that was only the begining. 1B Tony Perez batted clean-up as the pure power hitting George Foster (what power in those large stadiums back then!) followed with SS Dave Concepcion backing him up. You were still not out of the woods at that point when Ken Griffey came up next followed by speedy CF Cesar Geronimo.

That was the line-up that all baseball feared in the mid seventies and I hated but respected this team more than I knew even back then. They played with a fire and burning desire to win. They knew they were the best and wanted to prove it every night and most nights, did just that.

They won the Wolrld Series in 1975 for the first time in 35 years and they would follow that season by winning it again in 1976 by sweeping the Phillies and Yankees. What a team!

The Reds of today are a team that puts it out on the field every night. They are fun to watch and are a dangerous bunch. These Reds of today will score with anybody. Imagine the damage they would incur if they had one big time starter or two #2 starters added to thier mix.

Could a trade be down the road?

Enjoy your team. They are respected, hard to beat and are not as far as you would believe from being there...where they were 30 years ago.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Thanks Tedc, I just got chills. I was born in 1975 and grew up with my dad talking about how great that team was, much in the same manner you just did

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I could compare this team to that of '75 for their great will to fight day in and day out. They want to win and you can see it in them. This year's team is an awesome bunch of guys who deserve nothing less than a great year together. Their will be bumps in the road, but I think this team will be in it for quite a while and maybe just maybe could go all the way. Never say never because this team won't allow you to see it that way.

BTW: Great read Tedc.

Rookie ERA
    It was a time of my life that I started to hate the Reds because of the way they beat us. It wasn't pretty to say the least.

I have always respected the Reds as a franchise much more than the Dodgers (who were in our division at the time). I can't stand them.

AA ERA
    Great story Tedc. Its funny that you mention the Dodgers b/c that was the first team that I saw play the Reds. I cant remember if it was 87 or 88 but Eric Davis came up with a huge hit to win the game. Obviously the Dodgers was one of the Reds big rivals back then also b/c they were in the same division. I will never forget it and have been hooked on baseball ever since.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    As a big fan of baseball, I was 11 when I realized what a real baseball team was. I watched my Astros at the Astrodome or on local TV every chance I got. The Reds were a hated rival of the Astros and they beat them pretty soundly as the Astros were a woeful team. I didn't want to admit it back then but the Reds in 1975 were a team that would go down in history abd would be one that I would admire forever.

The Reds had a lineup that was daunting. They had 3B Pete Rose leading off, followed by 2B Joe Morgan, and the great C. Johnny Bench, as the first three batters and that was only the begining. 1B Tony Perez batted clean-up as the pure power hitting George Foster (what power in those large stadiums back then!) followed with SS Dave Concepcion backing him up. You were still not out of the woods at that point when Ken Griffey came up next followed by speedy CF Cesar Geronimo.

That was the line-up that all baseball feared in the mid seventies and I hated but respected this team more than I knew even back then. They played with a fire and burning desire to win. They knew they were the best and wanted to prove it every night and most nights, did just that.

They won the Wolrld Series in 1975 for the first time in 35 years and they would follow that season by winning it again in 1976 by sweeping the Phillies and Yankees. What a team!

The Reds of today are a team that puts it out on the field every night. They are fun to watch and are a dangerous bunch. These Reds of today will score with anybody. Imagine the damage they would incur if they had one big time starter or two #2 starters added to thier mix.

Could a trade be down the road?

Enjoy your team. They are respected, hard to beat and are not as far as you would believe from being there...where they were 30 years ago.
    excellent post, its always good to see a fan of other teams come in here and be respectfull and insightive