Thread: Ask Hal: Dave from Centerville flunks his assignment

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Dave from Centerville flunks his assignment

Ask Hal on Baseball: Dave flunks his homework assignment

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

You've got the questions, Hal McCoy has the answers. Visit DaytonDailyNews.com/reds for more "Ask Hal." To submit questions about baseball, e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

QUESTION — You asked who on the Reds do I like and why? Well, I like a player who hustles, keeps his mouth shut, does not do performance-enhancing drugs, does not wear earrings, does not bare tattoos, does not drive expensive cars and does not wear his hat backwards. Do you see anyone on the Reds roster that fits my prescription? — Dave, Centerville

ANSWER — You flunked your homework assignment, pal. I see some guy in the Bible who fits your description. I see a lot of hustling players, nobody is required to not ever talk, I'll bet your wife wears earrings, I've never seen a tattoo inhibit a pitcher throwing a strike or a batter getting a hit. If you made $4 million a year, would you drive a 1974 Volkswagen? And do you even wear a hat?

Q — For the sake of your faithful readers, tell Dave from Centerville to get a life and his 15 seconds of fame are up. And I thought it was tradition for the Reds, being the oldest franchise in Major League Baseball, to throw the first pitch of the season. Greg, Kettering

A — Dave is my most faithful e-mailer. Sometimes I get five and six a day from him, just to make sure he makes it into this column. He didn't one week, and his friends and relatives were all over him. Oh, the embarrassment.

As for the Reds being the first game, that tradition was wiped out by ESPN a few years ago. They want to do a Sunday Night Game of their choosing, and they always choose the New York Yankees or some other East Coast team. Hey, money talks, so when ESPN says 'jump' baseball asks how high on the way up. The Reds do get to play Opening Day at home every year.

Q — If the Reds are 13 games out in late July, will manager Dave Miley be the lone sacrificial lamb? Or will we see another great purge like 2003? — Mike, Union

A — Dave Miley is more like a wolf than a lamb, and I wouldn't want to be the guy to try to shear him. If the Reds are 13 games out in July, I wouldn't be surprised to see some salary dumping ... again. All those relief pitchers are older veterans and expendable over the long haul, and they might bring younger players for the future if the Reds are out of it. But don't look for anything to be added if the team is within three games. The Reds' payroll is maxed out, and they say to add even another $1 million, they would need to draw 3 million fans. So gather your friends and neighbors, open your wallet the way Carl Lindner did, and go see a ballgame.

Q — Hope you are watching the excellent relief pitching by David Weathers and Kent Mercker. I know it is early, but statistics don't lie. I think I heard that from my favorite baseball writer. — Paul, Dayton

A — If you heard that statistical stuff from me, I think I stole it from Henry Chadwick, the baseball writer who invented the symbols for the scorebook. And statistics don't lie. But it is early. They don't call Weathers "Stormy" for nothing. Betcha he weathers the storm. And Mercker may be murky now, but he'll clear up, too.

Q — Runner tags up at third with less than two outs. Fly ball is hit to the outfielder. Does the runner have to wait until the ball is touched or caught? What if it is bobbled? Could it be legal for a fielder to juggle the ball and free the runner? — Joe, Dayton

A — The only way a baserunner is frozen is during a night game in Anchorage. Actually, once a fielder touches the ball, the runner can advance. They wouldn't even let a bowling pin juggler on the old Ed Sullivan Show try to pull that deceiving little trick.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    As for the Reds being the first game, that tradition was wiped out by ESPN a few years ago. They want to do a Sunday Night Game of their choosing, and they always choose the New York Yankees or some other East Coast team. Hey, money talks, so when ESPN says 'jump' baseball asks how high on the way up. The Reds do get to play Opening Day at home every year.
    Maybe the info I heard was wrong but didnt Marge turn down ESPN? Like ESPN offered the Reds Sunday Night Baseball but she didnt want to break the tradition of Monday?

AA ERA
    I think I remember that as well mission. But even now I dont think it would matter. ESPN would be showing the Yanks-Sox this year no matter what. ESPN doesnt care about tradition, they care about ratings.

MLB ERA
    I have heard that before, but I don't know if I buy it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    But don't look for anything to be added if the team is within three games. The Reds' payroll is maxed out, and they say to add even another $1 million, they would need to draw 3 million fans. So gather your friends and neighbors, open your wallet the way Carl Lindner did, and go see a ballgame.
    This is really depressing news. I know some were worried about this, leaving no room to add if needed. I guess I just assumed given the generous spending they would automatically add a good player if it meant a boost for the playoffs.

MLB ERA
    Interestingly enough, O'Brien had made it sound like we would be able to add someone. Hopefully this is just O'Brien being mysterious and crafty with what he puts out publically(so other teams, etc. think we are not going to add anyone) as opposed to a reality.

AA ERA
    Yes its depressing. Especially if you consider the Reds were lucky to draw 20,000 people for both games following opening day.

MLB ERA
    I guess we need to start attending games at the rate Cards fans do. They had over 50,000 yesterday for their Friday afternoon game against the Phillies.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I hope you are right CRF in that O'Brien is just being mysterious. But if not, I still think we could do some things in the trading block. We have guys that flat out deserve a position on this team, yet are not on the active roster. These guys could really make good trade bait. We package two or three of them together for a needy team and we get what we need. Thats the only route I see for additions in a playoff push.

Names to thing of in our system to package.

*DJ (Freel can step in)

*Freel (DJ can be good) (we have Pena, Cruz, Stratton to pinch hit. Olmedo, Machado, and L. Lopez for utility roles)

*Pena (We have a great outfield without him) (Stratton is a guy with power that could be exactly like Pena)

*Hancock (So many pitchers like him in the system, and we have younger talent with higher ceilings)

*Aurilia (we have a lot of young SS talent and he won't last after this season in this organization) (Felo needs the opportunity to play every day)

I am sure their are more, but these are who i have in mind for now.