Thread: Back Home

Back Home

Hi all. Wanted to say whatup after my prolonged absense, I've just returned from a few weeks in Japan visiting my brother. It was a great trip, but it's nice to be home. I think i've caught up on everything reds related by scanning all the threads i missed, good to see that we're still winning more than not.

I went to one baseball game in Japan, and watched the home town yokohama bay stars win a nail biter 3-1 on an 8th inning two run homer. Both starters were filthy, though they topped out at 88-90. they both had devestating breaking stuff and threw back up two seem fastballs around 85-86 that moved as much as wagner's slider.

it was fun to see. they hand out a song page as you enter the stadium that has a song for each player that everyone sings when that player comes to bat. and i'm not talking about toby keith songs that the players like, i'm talking about songs actually written about the players. imagine singing "austin kearns is know as ears, his mighty swing makes many fears," its like that.

the fans really get into it in a way that fans here don't, but it's not better, just different. i think fans in the states are more analytical, always thinking about what the team should do and things like that. japanese fans are really just all about rooting their team on.

anyhow, i'm looking forward to the rest of the reds season, even though it's a little heartbreaking to see them playing well now that they're out of it. vote griffey!
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    welocme back, glad you had a good trip

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Glad to see you back Wally and that you had a good trip. I was missing seeing your opinion around here.

And that's neat to hear about the players songs. From what I've always heard, the Japanese are very enthusiastic about their team so I can really imagine them getting into supporting them through methods like that. In fact, that might a neat thing to write a future article about, your experience at that game since many of us have never had the chance to go. Just a thought.

As for the Reds, the very least I am hoping for is a .500 plus season and giving ownership (or whatever future ownership we get) the message that we are so close to competiting and that we just need some quality pitchers.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Welcome back Wally! That Japan baseball game sounds interesting. I really loved how you brought up what a Kearns song would be like. Thats hilarious!

I remember Opening Day for last season was the Yankees in Japan against some team in Tokyo I believe. The crowd was bananas. They are a lot louder and the stands just seem to rock at every pitch. Japan baseball is becoming a huge deal these days. Thanks for sharing that.

MLB ERA
    welcome back
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]