Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acevedo traded

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Acevedo traded

Jose Acevedo was traded to Colorado for 27 year old P Alan Simpson, as reported on the game broadcast tonight

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I hear he throws really hard and was slated to be a future closer. Also, he is 27 years old, so he should start getting things together for a push to the MLB level. He has 1 option left as well. I like the trade, as I did not like Acevedo's attitude after he didn't make the cut during ST. He did decent for us, but it is his time to go. Good trade.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Love the deal. Ace is a headcase that will never find success, much less in Coors field. If we could refine this Simpson's kids control, he could be pretty decent. Another high power arm from what I've read in a google search, 95 mph+ and seems to post high k/9 totals.

MLB ERA
    I like the deal too.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    Simpson, 27, began the season on the Rockies' Opening Day roster before being optioned to Triple-A Colorado Springs on Friday. He appeared in two games for Colorado, giving up five runs on three hits in 2/3 of an inning pitched.

Last season, in 32 games with the Rockies, Simpson compiled a 2-1 record and 5.08 ERA with 46 strikeouts. It was his first stint in the big leagues. His ratio of 10.62 strikeouts per nine innings ranked second among rookie relievers behind the Pirates' Mike Gonzalez (11.42).

Originally selected by Seattle in the eighth round of the 1997 First-Year Player Draft, Simpson owns a career Minor League record of 26-31 with a 3.66 ERA over eight seasons.

"He's got a lively fastball and velocity up to 95 mph," Reds scout Bill Wood said of Simpson. "He's got stuff that is typically that of a late reliever with that type of arm. It's a matter of him making progress in gaining command of all his pitches."

O'Brien said he was pleased to add Simpson to an organization that doesn't have very many high-velocity throwers in the farm system.

"We don't have as many power arms as we'd like in the organization in the back end of the bullpen," O'Brien said. "So it was a good tradeoff, given our needs and their needs."
    I like what Simpson has to offer, you can never have enough strikeout pitchers IMO

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by bipster
    I like what Simpson has to offer, you can never have enough strikeout pitchers IMO
    I agree, especially since we dont have many

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I like your sig bipster.

Anyhow, Simpson sounds like he is another Valentine. Need to work on his control and he throws hard. I'll take a Valentine who needs work to become stellar vs. an Acevedo who needs work and an attitiude adjustment to become decent.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I am really liking this the more and more I think about it. Sure Acevedo has shown flashes, both starting and in relief, but it's just too inconsistent when he does. Plus, his stuff is nothing to write home about. I think we all know his biggest problem from keeping him to be effective is himself and I just don't see him getting over that. From what it sounds like, Simpson seems to have plus stuff and has a good ceiling under the right coaching.

AA ERA
    Well hopefully the Reds have the right coaching.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but either way, losing Acevedo is nothing. Imagine him in Coors?!? He likes to give up the longball remember.

MLB ERA
    Anyone with an over/under on Jose's HR total at Coors?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

AA ERA
    Ill go with 5 b/c he wont be there long after he gives up that many in his first APP

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Nope.... but I am willing to wager the outfield bleacher seats will rocket in attendance. There could be a new slogan for those seats: "Every season ticket holder in the outfield is guranteed one homerun ball by the end of the season."

MLB ERA
    Then he'll probably spend the rest of the season(after he is cut) trying to find that elusive cell of his.

AA ERA
    He will leave the cell in Louisville that way they have to find him to tell him hes cut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast