Thread: Reds Notes: Reds to visit White House

MLB ERA

Reds Notes: Reds to visit White House

Reds to visit White House

By Sean McClelland

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Sightseeing is on the agenda as the Reds travel to Washington, D.C., to begin a four-city, 13-game road trip against the Nationals.

A White House visit is planned for Tuesday, courtesy of owner Carl Lindner's connections. First, though, is a trip to Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland to lift spirits of wounded veterans.

"That's going to be the most special thing, just going in the hospital and telling those guys thanks for serving our country, thanks for keeping us safe and doing the things you do," first baseman Sean Casey said. "Those guys are the true heroes.

"If we can bring a smile to their faces, it'll be worth it. I think that's probably going to be the most important thing we do on this trip."

The Reds' longest excursion since 1989 includes stops in Pittsburgh, Houston and Atlanta. Washington holds the greatest allure, however. Some of the Reds have never been there.

"I've been there, but it's been a while," said pitcher Luke Hudson, who opens the series Tuesday. "Gosh, when I was in eighth grade we had a field trip out there.

"It's going to be enjoyable to wake up in the morning and do some sightseeing. We do enough sleeping in."

Quote of the day

As reliever Kent Mercker left the clubhouse, he was relieved no reporters wanted to talk to him. He had given up a two-run homer to Alex Cintron in the eighth, but it didn't cost the Reds the lead. Said Mercker, "Good thing about being a reliever is, unless you give up the lead, no one wants to talk to you. I tried like hell, but I didn't get there."

Stuck with Aurilia?

Rich Aurilia reportedly has cleared waivers. Ordinarily, management would be overjoyed as this would clear the way for a trade.

But with Ryan Freel on the disabled list, the Reds will shop

Aurilia more carefully, GM Dan O'Brien indicates. With Freel shelved for at least a couple of weeks following knee surgery, the club is not awash in infielders.

That said, Aurilia surely could help a contender. In 25 games since the All-Star break, he's hitting .330 with six home runs and 20 RBI.

Junior stays hot

The Reds are pushing Ken Griffey Jr. for Player of the Week, an award he has not won since switching leagues in 2000. After getting two hits Saturday and going 2 for 5 Sunday, he finished the seven-day period hitting .500 (14 for 28) with three homers and five RBI.

On pace for 38 homers and 113 RBI, Griffey has been one of baseball's hottest hitters since the All-Star break with 12 homers and 27 RBI.

Contact Sean McClelland at 225-2408.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty cool that the Reds get to go lift the spirits of the vets. I mean who's day wouldn't be brightened a bit by seeing such happy and personable guys like Casey and Griff?

I am surprised though the Aurilia cleared waivers. I mean he's extremely cheap and been somewhat effective not to mention he could be used as a utility player (even if he doesnt like it.) I wonder if his sour attitude has hurt his value? Just to clarify, I don't think Aurilia is worth much or anything but to a contender with a lack of middle infield depth, I could see them wanting to flip him for a low level, low talent prospect at least.

MLB ERA
    I really don't know why a team like the Yankees, with no infield depth whatsoever, wouldn't claim Aurilia. Perhaps because they couldn't get him anyways.

MLB ERA
    George probably doesn't like Aurilia because he doesn't make enough money.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.