Thread: Thoughts On Trevor Bauer Move

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reds Thoughts On Trevor Bauer Move

I know a lot are scratching their heads on this, but I like it.

Taylor Trammell stings to lose, and while he could be a star (he certainly has tools), he has struggled in AA. Puig was gone in the offseason, barring a massive overpaying. Things are starting to click for this team, you have to squint, and hope a few more breaks happen, but I don't think contention is THAT far away. The Reds pitching coach (Johnson) has had more to work with, but the results have shown. Add in an arm like Bauer and you might have the makings on one of the better rotations in baseball.

Its a gamble, without question, but a gamble a smaller market team has to make. I know Bauer himself is a gamble, but again, its a swing the Reds take.

THAT said, the Indians cleaned up. Especially vs the haul for Stroman (if you could call it a haul, which legally, no.)

Rookie ERA

Re: Thoughts On Trevor Bauer Move

While I'm glad Puig is out of the division, I don't like the Reds beefing up the rotation. They already seem to dominate the Cubs enough.

That's just weird to say after the Cubs straight up murdered any pitcher Cinci put in, for years.
    Last edited by Trendy Bastard; 08-01-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    LeagueTeamRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLKansas City Royals (NYY/TB)3611-351711487
    TBLCleveland Indians1084-6982521
    HSLChicago Cubs2071-17641941

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I know a lot are scratching their heads on this, but I like it.

Taylor Trammell stings to lose, and while he could be a star (he certainly has tools), he has struggled in AA. Puig was gone in the offseason, barring a massive overpaying. Things are starting to click for this team, you have to squint, and hope a few more breaks happen, but I don't think contention is THAT far away. The Reds pitching coach (Johnson) has had more to work with, but the results have shown. Add in an arm like Bauer and you might have the makings on one of the better rotations in baseball.

Its a gamble, without question, but a gamble a smaller market team has to make. I know Bauer himself is a gamble, but again, its a swing the Reds take.

THAT said, the Indians cleaned up. Especially vs the haul for Stroman (if you could call it a haul, which legally, no.)
    One comparision I have heard made and could see it (especially if we extend him a couple more years) is the equivalence to the Scott Rolen trade... which I hate to admit I LOATHED at the time because we dealt what was our #1 pitching prospect at the time in an era that NOBODY does. Stewart flamed out magnificently (OOPS!) at the MLB level.

Trammel is replaceable, if he were a true CF he would still be in Cincy where his bat plays... if Trammel is a left fielder (weak arm) only he has no chance of being more than 4th outfielder with as little power as he's shown at AA thus far. He's still young but he's already fallen from like #6 to mid 30s of prospects in baseball, if he continued with the current trajectory of a season I could very easily see him being much lower. This may have been the last chance to get real value for him. Also the fact that a 3rd team had to get involved says to me that Cleveland didn't value him at all except to get Franmil Reyes & Logan Allen from SD.

Bauer is really a smart dude. MLB Tonight: Evolution of analytics with Trevor Bauer - YouTube

Listening to him talk pitching he reminds me a lot of Bronson Arroyo and he's going to be able to recreate himself if he were to start to lose some velocity as he ages. I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds spend a bit to lock him down over Wood, in a perfect world 3x15ish.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Isn't he certain to get more than 20,000,000 next year or am I misremembering ?

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Isn't he certain to get more than 20,000,000 next year or am I misremembering ?
    He's up for arbitration so I'm not even going to try and guess what that bureaucratic bs decides. He's a FA after next year.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    He's up for arbitration so I'm not even going to try and guess what that bureaucratic bs decides. He's a FA after next year.
    And he's not signing a multi year extension.

Trevor Bauer contract bet: Indians P only signs 1-year deals | SI.com
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    It’s a double edge sword. He could maximize his value every year if he remains top flight pitcher, if his elbow blows up he has zero earning potential.

It’s a bold strategy , we’ll see if/how well it works for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

still better than being shot in the groin.

Honestly though, I'd just work out a deal where I'd pay the guy I made a bet with to end it.

2072 MSL Gold Glove Winner

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am actually okay with him retaining that flexibility of signing year to year contracts. He says he does that to maintain motivation and I think the Reds would be more likely to continue that arrangement than to lock him up to a Scherzer type of deal (not saying he is on that level, but that kind of deal.)

And Slyder, that is definitely an interesting take with Trammel. It does seem to be at a point where he has lost some shine, and of course he could find a power stroke and skyrocket value. I do think Bauer projects as someone, like you said, who could maintain longevity longer than a pure thrower.

I am also curious how he and Votto will go along. They will either be best friends or really knock heads.

MLB ERA

The Padres apparently tweaked Trammell’s swing a bit right away.

He hit hit a home run his first game. But we’ll see how it goes long term.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, very interesting. I am still high on him, he is super toolsy and has performed. Hope he puts it all together.

Taylor Trammell already making adjustments at the plate - Gaslamp Ball

MLB ERA

Having no allegiance to any of these teams, I agree that these seems like a very savvy move by the Reds and really, all three teams involved.

Padres cleared some room in their OF but also got back a highly touted prospect.

Indians got a really nice return that is going to help them not only immediately but also in their future.

Reds continue to build a solid rotation and land a guy that loves to compete.

I like it.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It was really nice seeing the Reds compete outside of that first game with the Cubs. Bauer, Gray, and Castillo is a legit-top three.