Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Weathers' option for 2006 kicks in

Reds notebook
    Weathers' option for 2006 kicks in
    By Kevin Kelly
    Enquirer staff writer

MILWAUKEE - A couple of weeks before the non-waiver trade deadline, Reds general manager Dan O'Brien approached David Weathers and told the veteran relief pitcher he wasn't going anywhere.

Weathers assured that Saturday evening at Miller Park.

The veteran's ninth-inning appearance was his 55th out of the Reds' bullpen this season. That triggered a $1.25 million club option for next season.

"There for a while I thought it was going to happen before the All-Star break," said Weathers, who made 40 first-half appearances. "It's nice knowing where you're going to be next year. I know you can still be traded and all that in the offseason, but it's nice to get that out of the way."

The salary can escalate to a maximum of $1.5 million if he reaches 70 appearances. He is on pace for 76 appearances.

It has been an unusual, yet enriching, season for the 35-year-old.

Weathers has taken over as the team's primary closer - his nine saves are a career high - and as a mentor, along with fellow veteran Kent Mercker, for an extremely young group of relief pitchers.

"The fun part about it, as you get older, is watching the young guys develop," Weathers said.

"Watching them go out there and watching their eyes go from being (wide) to now, 'This is where I belong.' We've got some guys who've done that this year. They have no doubts in their mind whatsoever that this is where they need to be pitching for the rest of their career."
    Clcik here for the rest of Reds Notebook

I remember him sucking ass in NY..I guess he shaped up.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic