Thread: Ask Hal: Griffey may make Dave eat his words, if he would

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Griffey may make Dave eat his words, if he would

Griffey may make Dave eat his words, if he would

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

QUESTION Early in the season, you said if Ken Griffey Jr. didn't hit 30 home runs you would admit that Barry Larkin was overrated. With less than 50 games left are you getting nervous? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek.

ANSWER As usual, you are so far off base my Aunt Opal in her wheelchair could pick you off. I said if Griffey didn't hit 30 home runs this year I'd eat the column and you could bring the ketchup. Nervous? Check the stats, pal. He'll probably hit 35. I should have said you would have to eat every Ask Hal column in which you appeared this year if Griffey hit 30, but not even a shredder can eat that much paper.

Q — What are your thoughts on Jerry Narron returning next season? Does ownership have to make a splash and hire some big name? — Jason, Fairfield.

A Ownership has made a lot of big splashes this year, mostly belly-whoppers into the Ohio River. Why a big name? Managers don't put posteriors into the seats, good teams do. With what Narron has done so far, I would hire him today and let him see if he can become a big-name manager. Remember that guy they hired once, Sparky Who?

Q Do you look for the L.A. Dodgers to fire Jim Tracy and hire Dusty Baker because of his Dodgers background? Aren't the Cubs going to fire Baker? — Ray, San Bernardino, Calif.

A Baker has another year on his contract and already he has been rumored to manage next year in Los Angeles, Washington and Arizona. I told him I was going to start a rumor that he would manage in Cincinnati next year and he said, "Well, I've been rumored for everywhere else." The Cubs shouldn't fire Baker and the Dodgers shouldn't fire Tracy. Both are outstanding individuals and outstanding managers. Both teams were crippled this season by injuries, and I didn't see either manager stick out a foot to trip his players or hit them on the rotator cuff with a Louisville Slugger. It just isn't their fault.

Q I'm so disappointed for Ryan Freel. Finally he gets his batting mojo back and then strains a muscle. I'm confident he'll bounce back physically, but it's his psyche I worry about. — Anita, Dayton.

A Worry not about Ryan Freel. Change psyche to psycho and you've got him. If he has to nail a ligament back to the bone or rebuild his leg with Legos to play, he'll do it. His teammates call him "Psycho," and it's a fond nickname because they know he'd run over his kindly old grandmother at home plate to score a run.

Q If there was an award for the most pathetic team in baseball, would the Chicago Cubs be the winner? — P.O., Dayton.

A You are down on the Cubs because they were swept at home by the all-powerful Reds, aren't you? Actually, my vote goes to Kansas City. Buddy Bell must have thought George Brett, Frank White, Darrell Porter and Dan Quisenberry still played for the Royals when he took the job.

Q —This season was a washout for the Reds after the Cardinals' ninth-inning comeback in May, but given the young bullpen arms doing well, the current pitching being decent and the Reds not dealing away most of the young offense, what are the chances of contending next year? —Travis, Waynesville.

A — Oh, you had to bring that miserable defeat back to life, huh? At my age, I can't predict tomorrow or remember yesterday, let alone predict next year. Too much can happen in the off-season. Ask me again after spring training when the Reds acquire Chris Carpenter, Vladimir Guerrero, Derrek Lee, A.J. Burnett and Andruw Jones. You haven't heard about those pending deals? Neither have I.

Q Like Joe Morgan, Frank Deford said on national public radio that the current steroids scandal has done more to harm the game than anything Pete Rose ever did. Any sign the door will open for Pete and Shoeless Joe, or just wishful thinking on my part? — Craig, Brookville.

A That's comparing soup and nuts. Both have dragged baseball through the muck, in different ways, but both hurt the game's integrity. I see no way the steroids issue is any factor in the Rose/Jackson cases. Commissioner Bud Selig was asked at the All-Star game where Rose's reinstatement request stands and he said, "It stands the same way it did a year ago." In other words, it stands buried on his desk, where it should be. Rose shouldn't be reinstated. Steroids and betting on baseball are in no way linked, other than rules were broken in both instances.

Q — I thought I heard speculation awhile back that catcher Jason LaRue would not be with the Reds in 2006. Has that changed? Is Dane Sardinha ready? Greg, Edgewood, Ky.

A That's speculation I hadn't heard, so nothing has changed. After a slow start, LaRue has been productive. In fact, the LaRue-Javier Valentin tandem has been solid. Sardinha has disappeared from the radar and unless the Reds can find it in their hearts and pocketbooks to somehow acquire Pudge Rodriguez or Jason Varitek, next year we'll still be seeing LaRue wearing his T-shirt that says, "When I die I'm going to Texas and the rest of you can go to hell." No, he didn't mean that for you.

Q — Talking about a Reds win over the Cubs on XM radio last week, Buck Martinez and Larry Bowa were dismissive of the Reds, practically calling the Cubs' loss an embarrassment. What gives? The Reds aren't the Astros, Cardinals or Braves, but haven't they overcome comparisons to Tampa Bay and Colorado? — Frank, Dumfries, Va.

A Martinez and Bowa are fired ex-managers, so what do they know, eh? Entering the weekend, since the All-Star break the Reds have a better record (17-9) than the Braves, and the same as the Cardinals, Astros and Red Sox. No, they are no longer in the same breath with the Rockies, Devil Rays and Royals. But, yeah, the Cubs should be embarrassed for the way they are playing. Right now they aren't worth a pack of Mr. Wrigley's gum.

Q — Back in April, Jim Rome said Ken Griffey Jr. should quit embarrassing himself and retire. Now that Griffey is having his best year with the Reds, does Rome have any other brilliant ideas? — John, Kettering.

A The last time I saw Rome on TV he insisted on referring to former Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jim Everett as Chrissie Evert. Everett came on his show and dared Rome to call him Chrissie. When Rome did it, Everett shoved Rome off the riser on which his chair was sitting. Fun stuff. The next time I tune in Rome's radio show will be the first. Griffey should show up on his show for an Everett encore, except Griffey has too much class. And that's my take, Romie.

Q In the 1970s Pete Rose got a lot of attention for being baseball's first $100,000 singles hitters. Why isn't Sean Casey getting attention for being baseball's first $7 million singles hitter? — Jay, Beavercreek.

A Isn't that something? Nobody complained when Rose played first base and hit singles, but everybody makes great sport of criticizing Casey for being a first baseman who hits singles. Casey doesn't make $7 million, just $6.5 million, and maybe he doesn't get the attention as a highly paid singles hitter because there is some guy in Seattle named Ichiro who hits singles and makes more money.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I confess, I am Dave from Centerville. Just don't tell anyone. This has been fun all year. But literally Hal's words are about to be eaten.

MLB ERA
    Are you kidding?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Griffey may make Dave eat his words, if he would

By Hal McCoy

Q In the 1970s Pete Rose got a lot of attention for being baseball's first $100,000 singles hitters. Why isn't Sean Casey getting attention for being baseball's first $7 million singles hitter? — Jay, Beavercreek.

A Isn't that something? Nobody complained when Rose played first base and hit singles, but everybody makes great sport of criticizing Casey for being a first baseman who hits singles. Casey doesn't make $7 million, just $6.5 million, and maybe he doesn't get the attention as a highly paid singles hitter because there is some guy in Seattle named Ichiro who hits singles and makes more money.

sorry HAL wrong again

casey makes 7,800,000 this season and 8.5 next

MLB ERA
    Yet it really doesn't matter that much, since the point remains.