Thread: Griffey open to accepting a trade to the White Sox

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Griffey open to accepting a trade to the White Sox

EARS WIDE OPEN

Cincinnati Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. talked to his family last weekend and says he may be open to accepting a trade to the Chicago White Sox, if he clears waivers.

The White Sox and Reds completed a deal before the non-waiver deadline that would have sent outfielder Chris Young, first baseman Casey Rogowski and prospects to Cincinnati for Griffey. The trade included the Reds picking up at least $15 million of Griffey's remaining $41.5 million through 2008. But after the deal was completed and approved by White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Reds president John Allen, Reds owner Carl Lindner nixed the deal the following day.

Six high-ranking White Sox and Reds officials, including those close to Reinsdorf and Allen, confirmed the deal. The teams plan to revisit the deal if Lindner changes his mind.

"Junior is open to the possibility," said Brian Goldberg, Griffey's agent. "Originally, it caught us by surprise because we didn't know anything about it until we read it. We originally gave the Reds three teams that we would accept a deal (believed to be the Yankees, Braves and Astros), but that's not to say we wouldn't listen to the White Sox.

"Junior's first reaction is that the town is fine, the organization is fine, the people that run the organization are fine, but the only issue is that he'll be spending six weeks in Tucson (the White Sox's spring-training site in Arizona). But that doesn't preclude us from listening. And he will listen."

Article Link

Doesn't sound like this deal is dead after all.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AA ERA
    i sure do hope the deal turns dead.. Jr should end his career in cincinnati. Period.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    It would fix the outfield problem. It would fix the money problem.

Chris Young looks pretty good for AA Birmingham with a .262 BA and 19HR.
    Casey Rogowski looks like a good hitter with a .313 BA and 8 HR for Birmingham. But he strikes out a lot. Then dropping nearly $30 million to sign Dunn LTC, looks even better. I like this deal if in fact it is a possibility.

MLB ERA
    I only like this deal if we're getting pitching prospects and we can definitely sign Dunn.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    i sure do hope the deal turns dead.. Jr should end his career in cincinnati. Period.
    me too

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the White Sox are still pursuing Griffey. My opinion is that, while I would love to see him retire as a Red, he wants a WS ring, which he WON'T get here. Plus with all of the past negativity surrounding him here, I could understand why he might want to leave.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wonder how close this really is. Griffey could be moved very soon. Nobody will claim himm off waivers because he is so expensive. But even if he is claimed, we drop the money thae we owe him. But now that Pena and Freel are day-to-day we don't have that third outfielder if Griffey moves on. So, the .500 may be out the door with this happening. But I think this is more important for this team. A Griffey trade probably means a Dunn LTC.

MLB ERA
    I still don't expect this deal to happen. The initial rumor that a deal was done has already been shot down by some credible sources. Some sources who aren't credible have continued to say that the deal was close or is close, but I remain unconvinced.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Rookie ERA
    Casey Rogowski is ne the white sox 40 man roster and would also have to clear waivers

yeah what this teams needs is another outfielder and 1st baseman

PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING
    PITCHING

need I say more