Freel snaps out of slump; Lopez hopes to follow suit
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CHICAGO | Ryan Freel sat and watched Tuesday's game, other than a late-game pinch-running assignment, contemplating his 0-for-19 career-worst slump.

On Wednesday, Felipe Lopez sat and watched, his career-worst 0-for-27 slump on hold.

When writers gathered around Lopez's locker, Freel was seated next door and said, "Just tell them we both stink."

Said Lopez, "I don't stink. I just stink right now."

Then, on the first pitch of Wednesday's game from rookie left-hander Rich Hill, Freel drove a ball over the left-field fence.

"When I pinch-ran Tuesday, I was actually scared because I hadn't been on base for so long," Freel said. "I was supposed to (steal) on the first pitch, but I was scared."

Alas, Freel singled to drive in two more runs in the fourth, then left the game with a strained right quadriceps that could keep him seated for a while.

Lopez was off Wednesday, the team is off today and Milwaukee is pitching left-hander Chris Capuano on Friday so manager Jerry Narron is considering a third day off for Lopez.

"Hell, yeah, this will be good for me to sit down and relax and not think about it," Lopez said. "Chris Chambliss (hitting coach) told me not to even touch a bat."

Lopez has appeared in every game since June 9, and the last game he didn't start was July 26 in Los Angeles, but he pinch-hit.

"I've been able to make up for my offense on defense," Lopez said. Hearing that, Freel said, "Yeah, during slumps is the only time it's fun to play defense."

Lopez believes a steady stream of opposing left-handed starters fouled his swing. "That threw off my timing a little bit, all those left-handers," he said. "It's my timing, everything else is fine."

Said Narron, "Lopez has hit some balls hard without getting hits, and that compounds the problem. It is all part of the learning process. It's the first time he has had to play regularly at the major-league level, and it's a long season."
Click here for the rest