Thread: Good Story

MLB ERA

Good Story

Hope this isn't a repost, but didn't see it anywhere else.

Summee, now a security officer for the Reds, responded to an emergency call to Section 143 at Great American Ball Park during the seventh inning. A man had collapsed, and paramedics were working on him.

As they tried to revive the man, who did not survive the apparent heart attack, an officer handed the man's 6-year-old grandson to Summee.

Little Antonio Perez had come to the game with his grandfather, whose name the Reds did not release, to celebrate Tony Perez Bobblehead Night.

Over the next 2½ hours, Summee and numerous Reds players and coaches stepped up to comfort and entertain the boy.

At one point, the child asked: "How am I going to get home?"

"I told him I'd take him home," Summee said. "But he knew his grandmother's name and phone number."

A call was made, but the boy is from Hamilton, and it would take awhile for his parents and grandmother to get to the ballpark.

Summee still wanted to get Antonio away from the stands, so he took him into the Reds' bullpen, where bullpen coach Tom Hume let him sit on the bench for the last two innings of the game.

Then Ken Griffey Jr. became aware of what was going on and took charge.

"Win or lose, he was coming in the clubhouse," Griffey said.

As the Reds wrapped up their 8-5 victory over the Braves, Griffey went to the bullpen and got the boy.

The players included Antonio in their high-five celebration. Then they took him into the clubhouse.

"We play a game," Griffey said later. "What he was going through doesn't compare.

"It was important that the little guy not be by himself."
    From the Enquirer

MLB ERA
    What a sad yet great story at the same time this is.

If this doesn't prove what kind of guy Griffey is, I don't know what does. Pure class.

I really feel for this kid though. What a tragic way to lose a grandparent. And I know about losing grandparents too, since three of mine have already passed away.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, Griffey has always been a class act, especially when it comes to kids and charity. He's been gone from Seattle for years now, but he is still easily my favorite player.

MLB ERA
    I just hope his time with the Reds isn't winding down, unless we get a real return for him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Very good story. Nice job by Antonio and Griffey. These are definitely the type of classy things we fans like to hear about. Guys like Griffey and Casey are a lot more appreciated for these type of things vs. what Bong just did. I am glad to know Griffey has been my favorite player forever. I love this guy!