Thread: Griffey perplexed by Chicago media saying he had agreed to trade with Sox

MLB ERA

Griffey perplexed by Chicago media saying he had agreed to trade with Sox

Reitsma 'lights out' for Braves

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Chris Reitsma hasn't gone so far as to send the Cincinnati Reds one of Hallmark's very best thank-you cards, but he is appreciative they traded him to the Atlanta Braves.

"It was one of those things that when it happens, you don't know why and you wonder what is going on," he said. "But things happen for a reason. I was shocked when it happened and wondered, 'What's going on?' But I'm happy. I can make a difference."

It was current General Manager Dan O'Brien who traded Reitsma two spring trainings ago for pitchers Bubba Nelson and Jung Keun Bong, but it is former manager Bob Boone and former general manager Jim Bowden who perplex Reitsma.

"I don't know what I did to Bowden and Boone," he said. "All I ever did was take the ball whenever asked and did my best without complaint. The only time I complained was when they sent me to the minors when I was 10th in the league in earned run average."

When Reitsma was with the Reds, he was yanked between the bullpen and the starting rotation several times.

Atlanta manager Bobby Cox has the 27-year-old right-hander working as his closer, "And he has been damn-near perfect (3-2, 3.16, 14 saves in 18 opportunities and eight holds in set-up).

"What a great kid," said Cox. "He is shootin' the lights out for us. I wore him out last year.

"This year, he is doing it by pitching, using all his pitches — change, curve, slider — he's not trying to blow (fastballs), he pitches."

On Wednesday, Nelson, one of the pitchers acquired from Atlanta for Reitsma, was one strike away from a save for Class AA Chattanooga, but then gave up nine runs to Carolina and lost, 15-9.

Williamson back on hill

Just 10 months after his second Tommy John elbow surgery was performed Cincinnati's Dr. Tim Kremchek, former Reds bullpenner Scott Williamson is back in the big leagues.

The Chicago Cubs activated him Thursday.

The Cubs signed Williamson in the offseason, realizing he wouldn't be back until the end of this season. But they had success doing the same thing last year with pitcher Ryan Dempster.

They signed him over the winter two years ago after he, too, had Tommy John surgery performed by Kremchek, knowing he wouldn't pitch until late last season. Now he is Chicago's closer, with 15 saves in 17 opportunities.

Extra work for rookie

At 3 o'clock Thursday, four hours before game-time, 22-year-old third baseman Edwin Encarnacion was in the 95-degree heat taking ground balls from infield coach Randy Whisler.

Encarnacion worked on throws because two of his three errors Tuesday happened on throws, and an error he made over the weekend in San Diego was on a throw, too.

"We're working on him keeping his hand behind the ball so his throws don't sail," Whisler said. "Sometimes he hurries and the ball runs on him. He has a great arm and good footwork. He was doing good and then had that three-error game and he let it get to him. He'll be fine."

Said manager Jerry Narron, "It's all about a young guy coming to the big leagues for the first time and making sure they have the correct work habits. He is an intelligent guy and hard worker and there should be no problem with him doing extra work.

"He wants to be a good player," Narron added. "It is important for guys coming to the majors to do it right at the beginning."

More on Griffey

An addendum to the report that Ken Griffey Jr. was traded to the Chicago White Sox only to have CEO Carl Lindner say no:

When Griffey was traded to San Diego a couple of years ago for Phil Nevin, who stopped the trade by invoking his no-trade clause, Bowden said he traded Griffey under orders from Lindner to reduce payroll.

So why would Lindner step in this time when he could rid the payroll of more than $40 million?

The report reminded some of a rumor involving Griffey and White Sox GM Ken Williams a couple of years ago.

Asked if he had thought about trading for Griffey, Williams said, "Yeah, for about one minute, then I went on to important things."

Hearing that, Griffey responded with a smile, "You mean Williams thought about it for about as long as his major-league playing career?"

Chicago media, with no named sources, treated this new story as if it had happened and said Griffey had agreed to the trade.

Told that Thursday, Griffey said, "I did? News to me."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Asked if he had thought about trading for Griffey, Williams said, "Yeah, for about one minute, then I went on to important things."

Hearing that, Griffey responded with a smile, "You mean Williams thought about it for about as long as his major-league playing career?"
    LOL

AA ERA
    Hahaha that's a great line.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great job by Griffey on the comeback. Now we know for sure this won't happen.