Thread: Dunn says he was "overly aggressive" vs. LHP earlier in the year

MLB ERA

Dunn says he was "overly aggressive" vs. LHP earlier in the year

Dunn, Reds thump Braves
    NL player of the month continues to mash as Reds win

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | They call him The Big Donkey, a loving and endearing nickname for Adam Dunn, the Cincinnati Reds left fielder and 6-foot-6, 270-pound Incredible Bulk.

Opposing teams, opposing managers and opposing pitchers refer to him as a donkey, too, but they use the biblical term with 'jack' as the first syllable.

That's because Dunn is Cincinnati's beast of burden, a beast with a baseball bat, as he proved once again Wednesday night in Great American Ball Park against the Atlanta Braves.

On the same day Dunn was named National League Player of the Month for July, he drove in five runs with a three-run homer and a two-run double as the Reds held off the Braves, 8-5.

Dunn crashed a three-run home run in the fourth inning that turned a one-run deficit into a two-run lead, then pulled a two-run double in the sixth that gave the Reds a 6-2 lead.

The double was as necessary as the home run to the Reds' cause when the Braves scored three times in the seventh and chased starter Brandon Claussen.

As he talked about his award before the game, Dunn said, "It's August. Time to turn the page and try to win it this month."

Some folks poked fun at Dunn because on the day he was named Player of the Month manager Jerry Narron dropped him from fourth to sixth in the batting order. That, though, was because the Braves started left-hander Horace Ramirez and Narron stuck Wily Mo Pena in fourth to break up The Three Lefties — Ken Griffey Jr., Dunn and Sean Casey.

"Right now, we could hit Dunn anywhere, for sure," Narron said. "It doesn't matter what order we run our left-handers out there because they are all very good hitters."

The Reds trailed 2-1 when Dunn came to bat in the fourth with Pena (walk) and Casey (single) on base. On 3-and-1, Dunn bashed a fastball toward right center that threatened to shatter the Mountain Dew signs affixed to the mock smoke stacks.

It was Dunn's 32nd home run and Atlanta center fielder

Andruw Jones, who also has

32 homers, stood with his back to the infield staring for a long time in disbelief at the spot the ball found earth.

Dunn came up again in the sixth, this time with the bases loaded, and pulled a two-run double to right, giving him five RBIs in one game for the sixth time in his career, third time this year.

Dunn agrees he is sizzling like hot grease and said, "Let's keep it going for about two more months and three weeks."

And he sloughed off the fact he homered and doubled off a left-handed pitcher, saying, "I've been seeing left-hander's pitches good all year, but I've been overly aggressive, tried to pull everything. I've hit left-handers well in my career, but for some reason this year I haven't."

Claussen pitched 6 2/3 innings, giving up five runs and seven hits to push his record to 6-8, but he was breezing until a delay in the seventh. Plate umpire Chuck Meriwether was hit on the left hand by Rafael Furcal's splintered bat, causing a 12-minute delay.

Meriwether left for X-rays, which were negative, but when play resumed with three umpires and Tim Timmons behind the plate, Claussen was cold.

He gave up two straight singles and was replaced by David Weathers as the Braves scored three runs to draw within 8-5.

"A delay like that is going to hurt anybody," said Narron.

Felipe Lopez, who roamed shortstop all night like a buffalo on roller skates, saved the best for last, teaming with second baseman Ryan Freel.

With a runner on first and no outs in the eighth, Atlanta catcher Johnny Estrada bounced one up the middle that pitcher Kent Mercker deflected slightly.

Lopez zoomed behind second and gloved the ball, making a backhanded flip to Freel. Freel caught the ball barehanded and ripped a throw to first for a double play.

"Possibly a game-saver, just an outstanding play," said Narron. "That took a lot of pressure off everybody."

"I was hoping to get one out, not even thinking about a double play," said Lopez. "I just wanted to give Freel a good feed. When Mercker tipped it, it slowed it enough that I could make the play and we could turn the double play."

It was a Web Gem, perhaps a No. 1 Web Gem.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Interesting quote by Dunn.

Anyway, I'm not going to complain about one of the most productive hitters in baseball even if he doesn't hit for contact. Not everyone can be Albert Pujols, sometimes you have to settle for Adam Dunn.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

One more note, I didn't realize the Reds had the best offense in the NL. Imagine if they had some pitching to go along with that...damn.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Just mediocre pitching and we'd be competing. That's why I'm hoping Harang/Claussen can be joined by someone like Germano and maybe one other solid starter next year...
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.