Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bong arrested for domestic battery

MLB ERA

Bong arrested for domestic battery

Reds pitcher Bong arrested

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Jung Keun Bong was arrested Friday in Bradenton, Fla. for domestic battery, according to the Manatee County Sheriff's department.

Deputies were called to the Sarasota Cay Motel after reports of screams. Bong and his wife said they had a fight and Bong was arrested after red marks were observed on his wife's neck.

Bong was taken to jail overnight, but was released without bond Saturday morning and has a court date later this month.

The Korean-born Bong, 25, was acquired on March 26, 2004 from Atlanta in a trade that brought him and pitcher Bubba Nelson from the Braves in exchange for pitcher Chris Reitsma. Ironically, Nelson was arrested on a driving under the influence charge in Sarasota during spring training this year.

Bong underwent shoulder surgery last September and was in Sarasota on a rehabilitation assignment. During his first outing on June 13 for the Class AAA Sarasota Reds, he was knocked out of the game when a line drive hit his pitching hand. He is on the Reds' 40-man roster, but is on the 60-day disabled list.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

..and you wonder why we traded him. Too bad, really, I thought he was going to be something good.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    This pisses me off. I guess it doesn't say that his career would be over, but I am starting to get tired of these guys with bottomless morales. I don't care what anyone says here, yo don't touch a woman in an argument. You just don't touch them!

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would hope no one would defend his actions here. Anyone that abuses a woman like that is just a coward, because it's very likely they are avoiding dealing with a problem or an issue and would rather just "make" her be quiet. Sickening.

Oh and the Braves sure traded us the winners. Nelson had a DUI and Bong beats his wife.

You're welcome.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Yeah, the whole situation is pretty sickening. Someone who abuses a woman deserves to be locked up for quite a while. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to often happen.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You know, I completely forgot about that guy until just now.

Not a great way to get your name back in the news...

I'd prefer to hold judgment until after we got Bong's side of the argument here. They saw red marks. That could mean anything from cutting her neck to scratching it in a mutual scuffle. If they are simple red marks (accidental scratches) from a scuffle, I've heard of worse that happened to men from women that went unpunished (in fact, my mother's boyfriend's crazy ex threw an answering machine at him without repurcussions).

Don't get me wrong, the last thing I want to see is the abuse of another human being in any form, but I'd wait to see the whole story before I want to see Bong gets some special attention from 450-pound Rosie.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Screams were heard. He was arrested. There were red marks on her neck. For me, that's enough. Case closed.

OK, my mother and I were in the house. She hit a piece of metal sticking out from the computer desk, scratching her arm. She gave scream(s) due to the shock and pain. I'm arrested. That's enough. Case closed.

I doubt it happened like that, but I've screamed after a bunch of household accidents.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, but the police always talk to both parties before making an arrest. They obviously determined that he had done something wrong.

And that's their decision. I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong, he could have been coming at her with two knives and had bad aim (which might explain his lack of MLB PT), but it's unfair to judge a person due to an arrest and red marks. Could have been strangling, most likely not. I'd prefer to wait until the actual actions come out.

Suppose they believe the previously mentioned ex when she said that her ex-husband strangled her with a phone cord (with no marks and no proof)? She has already had him arrested while he was a good five miles away for no seeming reason, what's to say she's not lying?

It's simply not fair to judge a person off an arrest. Is it possible he's a despicable human being with problems? Of course. Is it possible he's not? Of course.

MLB ERA
    Well, I just think the circumstantial evidence is there in this case. Others heard screams and she has marks on her just after that. If he isn't convicted, then I will take back what I say about him, but I prefer to go more in the direction of 'guilty until proven innocent' most of the time.

That's the American spirit.

MLB ERA
    It's the non-liberal spirit.

And quite frankly, it's a spirit that has to be used in this country these days due to the dangers we face.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast