Thread: Dayn Perry names the Reds a trade deadline winner

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Dayn Perry names the Reds a trade deadline winner

for not trading Dunn. I sincerly enjoy reading an article by someone who shows intellect like this.

1. Cincinnati Reds

Ideally, the Reds would've been able to ease their outfield bottleneck by selling high on Ken Griffey Jr. (and thereby unloading his burdensome contract); however, such a deal may not have been tenable. The good news for Reds fans is that GM Dan O'Brien didn't trade away Adam Dunn, the future of the franchise.

Detractors point to his lofty strikeout totals and low batting averages, but Dunn more than makes up for it with his tremendous raw power and exceptional walk rates. He gets on base, beats the ball around — and out of — the yard and is still only 25 years old. If paces hold, Dunn will end the season with 164 career home runs, which will put him 16th on the all-time list for homers before age 26. He'll be critical to the next contending Reds team, and O'Brien was wise to keep him in the fold.
    Article link

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    dayn perry is a moron. how he ever became a baseball writer is beyond me since he doesnt really have much of a clue. They still should have traded one of their outfielders and could have gotten a whole load of stuff if they traded either kearns or dunn.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    No one was going to be crazy enough to match O'Brien's demands for one of the big 3. I do wish O'Brien had done a couple of the minor trades that made sense like trading a Kent Mercker or David Weathers (and given Booker a chance).
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Well nobody parted with major players or prospects yesterday so I have to agree with OB that the players he sought were not made available. I do think he nneds to move an OF before next year but I see no reason to rush it.

i'm fine with keeping mercker and weathers, they'll be useful next year. What i don't get is why we couldn't get a deal done for Aurilia? I have to think we would have let him go for an A baller since he is of absolutely no use to us this season. There are plenty of contenders out there who are starting way crappier players (Bret Boone comes to mind) and Aurilia is a jerk and wants off the team. Seems like the guy to move.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    dayn perry is a moron. how he ever became a baseball writer is beyond me since he doesnt really have much of a clue. They still should have traded one of their outfielders and could have gotten a whole load of stuff if they traded either kearns or dunn.
    your crazy. perry is one of the best writers out there.

Dunn,Kearns=The building blocks.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    Perry knows the game much better than nearly all writers I have encountered that write for a national outlet. Read his articles from Baseball Prospectus, the dude knows baseball.

Anyway, if you heard some nifty offers for Kearns or Dunn please share, because I didn't hear any. Not to mention I would have to be extremely blown away for the Reds to trade Dunn, and I don't think any team would of gave a fair value for his current talent and future potential.

Rookie
    Down in Kokomo, where we'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow.
    Rookie ERA
    Heh, I am kind of surprised to see Dunn still on the Reds roster. No offense, but it looks like O'Brien has messed up more times than not (signing Milton, trading Reitsma, trading for Ortiz etc.) Dunn will be a top 10 hitter for years to come (maybe even top 5), if you traded him, your top ranked offense would of suffered more then many would imagine I believe. Not to mention the longterm effects of trading such a special player.