Thread: Notes: Hudson ready for regular work+a funny tidbit on freel

MLB ERA

Notes: Hudson ready for regular work+a funny tidbit on freel

Notes: Hudson ready for regular work
    Right-hander frustrated by lack of opportunities to start

CINCINNATI -- Luke Hudson feels like he leads the league in bullpen sessions.

In a 13-day stretch between starts earlier this month, he threw six of them. And each one left him hungrier to get back on the mound for the real thing.

Hudson has shown signs of improvement in the three outings since that particularly long down period, which was brought on by the All-Star break and the reshuffling of the Reds' rotation.

But now the rotation has been shuffled again, with Hudson getting an extra two days off as a result.

And Hudson doesn't want them.

"I don't have anything to say about it," he said. "But, yeah, it's frustrating."

Hudson (2-5, 8.39 ERA) was originally slated to pitch Thursday against the Braves, but he's been moved back to Saturday's game against the Marlins.

The ostensible reason for the move is that it will keep Aaron Harang and Eric Milton on their regular days in the wake of Monday's off-day. But the Reds are also continuing to tinker with Hudson between outings.

After his last start, on Friday against the Padres, in which he gave up three runs on five hits in five innings of work, Hudson said he was beginning to feel more confident on the mound.

"In all honesty, I think the difference is that I'm keeping things simple and going out there with confidence," he said. "When things aren't going well, a lot of times we try to do too much. I think it was just a matter of two starts ago, I almost had the attitude of going out there and just doing what I can do. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't."

It wasn't happening for Hudson in his first seven starts after coming off the disabled list on June 9. His ERA soared as high as 10.18 in those outings, as he struggled with his command. And even though he's looked more effective his past couple of times out, Hudson is still struggling to be efficient with his pitches.

Now he'll have an extra couple of days to work that out.

"I guess I'll just throw a couple more bullpens," he said with a shrug.

Grin and bear it: The non-waiver trading deadline passed, and Rich Aurilia remained a Red.

Now the team is hoping Aurilia, who requested a trade because of his disappointment with his utility role, will accept his job and try to stay positive.

But Aurilia voiced his displeasure before Sunday's game, which he started at second base.

"It's disheartening for me," he said. "I feel I can help a team, and my intentions coming here were not to be a utility guy."

It's doubtful the Reds will find a suitor for Aurilia in August.

"It takes two parties to consummate a trade," general manager Dan O'Brien said.

If the Reds decide they're unhappy with Aurilia's attitude about the situation, they have the option to release him. It hasn't come to that point yet, though.

"I know [manager] Jerry [Narron] has explained to [Aurilia] what his role is, for the time being," O'Brien said. "Ultimately, that's Jerry's decision, and I support him in whatever decision he makes."

A little tight: Austin Kearns was out of the starting lineup Sunday after leaving Saturday's game in the fifth inning with tightness in his right hamstring.

Kearns felt the pull while heading from second to third on a triple in the second inning.

"I'll get treatment [Sunday] and [Monday] and see how it feels Tuesday," Kearns said. "It's just tightness, pretty much. It's a bit sore."

I've got it: Ryan Freel was in a particularly chipper mood Sunday morning. He was in the lineup as the starting center fielder, with Ken Griffey Jr. getting a day off.

And Freel decided it was a day off for everybody else, too.

"Dunner, you've got the day off today," Freel said to left fielder Adam Dunn.

"What does that mean?" Dunn replied.

"I've got the whole outfield covered," Freel said. "The infield has the day off, too."

Freel then turned to catcher Jason LaRue and told him he had the day off, as well.

No one was spared from the unexpected rest on the seventh day of this West Coast road trip. Bullpen coach Tom Hume, clubhouse manager Rick Stowe and even the pool of beat writers were all informed they had the day off.

Freel said he had it all taken care of.

Reds report: The Reds entered Sunday's action with the third-best record in the Majors since the All-Star break with an 11-5 mark. ... Narron was hoping to avoid using Griffey at all in Sunday's game to ensure that Junior has two full days of rest before resuming play Tuesday against the Braves.

Down on the farm: Right-hander Elizardo Ramirez gave up 10 hits in six innings of work for Triple-A Louisville on Saturday, but he managed to hold Ottawa to a lone run. But that one run was enough to earn Ramirez (5-4) the defeat in the Bats' 4-0 loss. ... No. 1 draft pick Jay Bruce went 2-for-4 with his second professional home run, three RBIs and two runs scored in the Gulf Coast League Reds' 6-4 win over the Twins. ... Right-hander Abraham Woody, the team's 31st-round pick in this year's draft, has racked up six saves for the Rookie League Billings Mustangs. His ERA stands at 2.00.

On deck: The Reds have Monday off before opening up a three-game set at home against the Braves at 7:10 p.m. ET on Tuesday. Right-hander Ramon Ortiz (6-6, 5.84 ERA) will face right-hander Jorge Sosa (6-1, 2.63).
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Monday you will not only be watching the Cincinnati Freels, but reading your copy of the Cincinnati Freel Post/Enquier
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Another note mentioned by Marc Lancaster and Marty during the game today is that Aurilia complained because he was told he wasn't going to be in the lineup today(yesterday he was told that) and ended up being in there. So now he's not only mad he's a utility player, but he also isn't pleased about starting when thinking he won't be.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

It's time they quit treating Aurilia with kid gloves. I want someone to come out and bluntly say "Hey Aurilia, nobody else in baseball has talked to us about wanting you to start for them. No one. Since no one in baseball wants you as a starter shut up and honor your contract here."

Originally Aurilia was complaining that the communication was poor. Well, now he's been told in no uncertain terms what his role is. How do you like that for communication?

I t doesn't sound like Hudson is too coachable. I'm wondering about his IQ.

If he can't see that his game needs help then I'm thinking when his IQ hits 70 he should sell.