Thread: Ask Hal: How do trade rumors get started?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: How do trade rumors get started?

Ask Hal on Baseball: How long a leash will they give Edwin Encarnacion?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

You have the questions, Hal McCoy has the answers. For more "Ask Hal," log on to DaytonDailyNews.com/reds. To ask questions about baseball, e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com.

QUESTION — When a player makes the last out of an inning, who is designated to give that player his glove? I pity the guy who has to take out Ken Griffey Jr.'s glove, but he always makes the last out. — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

ANSWER — You've been watching too much Texas Hold 'Em because you're always going all-in against Griffey and losing. Anybody who thinks Griffey is playing at top-level is watching with jaundiced eye and many readers do use the word 'yellow' when they refer to you, Dave.

Q — How long a leash will they give Edwin Encarnacion? When he goes 0-for-16 will they give up on him and call him another Brandon Larson? — Mac, Cincinnati

A — The only thing Encarnacion and Larson have in common is both their first and last names end with 'n.' I don't see Encarnacion going 0-for-16, but even veterans do that. They won't give up on this kid. He has more tools than Snap-On, while the only tools Larson brought to the game was an iron glove and a termite-infected bat.

Q — Has any Reds first baseman ever won the Gold Glove, and with his .999 fielding percentage isn't Sean Casey in line to win one? — Ray, San Bernardino, Calif.

A — Gold Gloves are won by reputation. When Rafael Palmeiro was in Texas he won a Gold Glove at first base even though he played only about a dozen games at first base that season. Played 'em well, though. More is considered than fielding percentage. Casey doesn't cover much ground, a detriment, but he digs more balls out of the dirt than a kid digging pebbles out of a sandbox. And if they ever give an award for talking to opponents who reach first base, Casey wins by a verbal landslide.

Q — When are they going to trade Eric Milton? When they got him from the Phillies they thought they were getting Steve Carlton, but they got Sleep-out Louie. — Dick, Las Vegas

A — Sleep-out Louie? Where'd that come from, Dick? There used to be a bar near old Riverfront Stadium called Sleep-out Louie's, but it's long gone. Milton isn't going to be long gone — not when he'll make $17 million the next two years. We all know he gives up more home runs than Adam Dunn hits, but let's be fair. He has been better lately. He isn't winning, mind you, but he no longer is a human batting tee.

Q — A split in LA? Not sure what it is, a youthful Griffey, a weak West Division, dumb luck? But I'm liking it. — George, Sarasota, Fla.

A — All of the above but dumb luck. It isn't dumb luck when Ryan Freel steals five bases, Griffey snags long fly balls like a Venus fly trap and Brandon Claussen imitates Roger Clemens. But, the NL West is weaker than restaurant iced tea and the injury-ripped Dodgers are really the Las Vegas 51s.

Q — So how badly do the San Padres need another catcher? — Bill, Cincinnati

A — I assume you refer to the rumor of a Jason LaRue trade to San Diego. The Pads are catch-poor because of injuries. Robert Fick doesn't want to catch and Phil Nevin caught a game last week for the first time since 1999. Some believe that was punishment when he refused a trade to Baltimore and manager Bruce Bochy said something like, "OK, you won't go to Baltimore, put on the tools of ignorance." LaRue? Check Thursday's two-homer game in LA. What the Padres want they don't always get. Joe Randa, yes. Jason LaRue, no.

Q — How do baseball trade rumors get started, especially ones that have no basis in fact? — Parsin, Dayton

A — A bunch of writers gets together after games over a few O'Doul's and say, 'We need a story tomorrow, let's make up a trade.' Unfortunately, there is more truth than fiction to that. One New York paper speculated on who the Yankees were interested in and named every player listed in any rumor. Of course, George Steinbrenner might do just that. Some GMs, like Cincinnati's Dan O'Brien, refuse to mention names. But any writer worth his Bic can talk to scouts and front office people and get information. Say, have you heard the one about the Reds talking to the Yankees about Randy Johnson for two Class A utility infielders and a deed to the Empire State Building? Sorry, too much O'Doul's.

Q — On Wednesday night, Danny Graves gave up two runs, four hits and two walks in two innings. Still tipping his pitches? — Wayne, Dayton

A — The Mets solved Danny's tip-pitching, but they still haven't found the lost velocity on his fastball. Maybe he'll find it and return to form, maybe he won't and will disappear in the Florida Everglades. Either way, it didn't give the Reds (or the fans) the right to treat him like a dead fish.

Q — Just curious, you wrote recently that you and Joe Morgan haven't spoken since 1979? What's up with that? — John, Dayton

A — Just two childish personalities. When Morgan played for the Reds, I wasted tons of paper writing positive stories about him. I wrote one he didn't like in 1979 and he stuck a finger close to my nose and said, "Don't ever try to talk to me again." I haven't. We played doubles tennis against each other a couple of times and never spoke. I tried to hit the little bugger a couple of times, but he was too quick. We've been the only two people on an elevator and haven't spoken. We've stood next to each other at a urinal and never spoke. Guess we just don't have anything to say to each other.

Q — What do you think the Reds could get in return if they traded Kent Mercker, David Weathers and Rich Aurilia? — Chakes, Cincinnati

A — Probably something decent. GM Dan O'Brien and manager Jerry Narron love the experience and veteran presence Mercker and Weathers provide the bullpen youngsters like Jason Standridge, Todd Coffey, Brian Shackelford and Randy Keisler. Same with Aurilia and the young infielders like Felipe Lopez, Ray Olmedo and Edwin Encarnacion. That doesn't mean any of those three won't be traded, if the price is right — and, no, they won't take Bob Barker.

Q — After pitching on Sunday, a pitcher accepted a five-game suspension for being in a brawl, so his next start was moved back one day. A position player who gets the same suspension misses five games. Is that fair? — Ed, Centerville.

A — Where does it say anywhere that life (or baseball) is fair? I've squawked about this for years. It isn't fair. That's why I applauded Bud Selig's 20-day suspension of pitcher Kenny Rogers for pushing photographers who weren't focusing on his best side. That means he'll miss four starts, maybe five, and give him time to pose for pictures.

Q — To your credit, you were always high on Brady Clark, who has become a very, very good player for Milwaukee. He would have trouble getting playing time in Cincinnati's outfield, but I'd take eight Brady Clark types over any Reds player except Ken Griffey Jr. — Mike, Dayton

A — You forget Ryan Freel. They are similar players who get the most out of what they have and are willing to do anything to contribute to a win. Clark was in Cincinnati when GM Jim Bowden wanted five-tool players who left most of their tools hanging in the shed. Clark (and Freel) don't carry a lot of tools, but one little screw driver is enough for them.

Q — I was at a game sitting near first base, and as a former athlete who coaches it was obvious to me how out of shape Ken Griffey Jr. is. — Ryan, Dayton

A — Are you Dave from Beavercreek's son or is this really Dave? Are you sure you weren't seeing Ken Griffey Sr.? He, indeed, has put on poundage. Junior, though, couldn't be in better shape. Chop off his gnarled and beat-up legs and The Kid is still The Kid.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

So Hal realizes how unreasonable Joe Morgan can be as well, sweet.

And it's around 12 hours or so until Peter Gammons joins Hal in the HoF, on the trade deadline too. How fitting.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, he brings up how much he dislikes him every few weeks it seems.

And congrats. to Peter. I'm sure he'll make up a rumor right before he's inducted.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

BTW, what is the deal with the KGJ bashing? At worst, he's the third best CF in baseball this year (and that depends on how much you like Johnny Damon for 2nd or 3rd). He's actually healthy and having a good season and this is what he gets?

I can see it now

"I would like to thank the selection committee for giving me a HoF bid...*cellphone ring*...wait a second folks...I just got news on a massive six team trade with Dunn going to Colorado, Ramirez to the Mets, and Neifi Perez to the Reds to team with Rich Aurilia, I have to follow this"

MLB ERA
    Well, Dave from "Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek" has always hated Griffey/Larkin among others, but I don't know what's up with that last guy. Griffey out of shape? This year? Yeah, right.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I can see it now

"I would like to thank the selection committee for giving me a HoF bid...*cellphone ring*...wait a second folks...I just got news on a massive six team trade with Dunn going to Colorado, Ramirez to the Mets, and Neifi Perez to the Reds to team with Rich Aurilia, I have to follow this"
    Neifi Perez-Aurilia...together on the same team? No!!!

Good stuff though, lol. Rep. coming your way.

I wish I could be out of shape like Griffey.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Who ever wrote that last comment, I would like to see what he looks like at 35 years old, undrergoing experimental surgery and not being allowed to walk for quite some time BUT still expected to be in shape for ST. People (this includes athletes) have lives and physical limitations. Griff is looking awesome, I don't care what anyone says, they're obviously blind if they see otherwise.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I mean, he only barely gets to balls that are hit back to the wall, and he doesn't even look like he exerts much effort doing that, because he has no field vision and can't get to balls quickly. He keeps going from 1st to 3rd on Singles because he's so out of shape.

Heh, Griff's not out of shape, and I know out of shape. My two favorite players are Rich Garces and Matt Stairs.

MLB ERA
    Your obsession with Stairs is disturbing.