Thread: O'Brien's phone rings, but no deals to happen unless team overwhelmed by an offer

MLB ERA

O'Brien's phone rings, but no deals to happen unless team overwhelmed by an offer

Phone rings, but Reds don't pick up

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SAN DIEGO | Dan O'Brien's cell phone rings more often these days than a high school beauty queen's, but nobody is calling for a date.

What they want are O'Brien's players, believing that because his Cincinnati Reds are basement-bound that he can be hood-winked into a bad knee-jerk trade.

Won't happen, O'Brien said. With Sunday's 4 p.m. non-waiver trade deadline hours away, the Reds may do nothing.

"Except for my half-hour radio show, my phone has been ringing constantly," he said. "Some individuals have the perception that there is a blockbuster on the way and there isn't.

"This doesn't mean we're content with the team, but if we don't have a deal that makes sense for us, we're not going to do a deal for the sake of a deal," he added.

Anyone who doubts O'Brien's insistence that he won't trade the three young outfielders need only check with St. Louis GM Walt Jocketty and Chicago Cubs GM Jim Hendry.

Jocketty figured that with the outfielder surplus in Cincinnati and the St. Louis need for outfielders that the teams might converge. Jocketty was told by O'Brien that the Reds were not going to do anything with their outfielders, that they all were being evaluated.

Hendry sat for two hours with O'Brien when the Cubs were in Cincinnati July 21, but couldn't snare O'Brien's interest in talking about Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn and Wily Mo Pena. They haven't talked since.

"Gee, I hope that message is out," said O'Brien. "I've been very forthright in stating that."

Nevertheless, Web sites continue to post the same old denied rumors. Despite what Jocketty said, one Web site continues to report that the Cardinals are trying to get one of the Reds' outfielders, including Ken Griffey Jr.

And another Web site continues to connect Adam Dunn with Oakland and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Another links the Reds in a three-way trade with Texas and the New York Mets in which the Mets get both Sean Casey and Alfonso Soriano, despite the Reds denying that a trade for Casey has been discussed.

That doesn't mean there isn't interest in Cincinnati players.

Florida manager Jack McKeon loves David Weathers and the Reds' relief pitcher is on a Marlins list of preferable bullpenners. Weathers has been with Florida twice before.

O'Brien has addressed this issue with both Weathers and Kent Mercker, veteran bullpenners.

"I was told (by O'Brien) it would take half the other team's players to get me, so I'd be surprised if it happens," said Weathers.

"But stranger things have happened."

Said Mercker, "I was told during a 45-second conversation with O'Brien in LA that neither I nor Weathers have been shopped and somebody would have to overwhelm the Reds with an offer."

Reds scout Les Parker has followed the Marlins for more than a week, although it is doubtful the Reds are interested in any major-league players.

Not that it means anything (or maybe it does), but chief operating officer John Allen and his wife, Anna, were not with the team in Los Angeles but just hours before the non-waiver trade deadline they showed up in San Diego, "just for a quick weekend holiday," he said.

A loser can win

Figure this one out.

Since June 1, the San Diego Padres and Tampa Bay Devil Rays are tied for the worst record in the majors at 18-32, yet the Padres lost only one game in the standings and remain firmly entrenched in first place in the National League West.

"That's crazy, just flat-out crazy," said Reds manager Jerry Narron.

"What? That's impossible. How do you do that?" asked O'Brien. "That can't be done."

A surprise starter

Shortly after the Reds arrived in Petco Park it was discovered that the Padres were starting Brian Lawrence Friday and Pedro Astacio Saturday.

Narron and the Reds thought it was just the opposite — Astacio Friday and Lawrence Saturday.

Asked if he was forced to change his lineup card, Narron said, "Tore it completely apart and started over." After a pause, he said, "No, I really didn't. I was going to play Javy Valentin and Rich Aurelia (tonight) against Astacio because Javy is 2 for 6 against him and Aurilia is 8 for 26 with a homer."

But he didn't switch it Friday, leaving Jason LaRue and Ryan Freel in the lineup.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I hope seeing Dunn these past few days is allowing Dan O time to realize how big of a mistake it would be to trade Dunn unless he there was a young ace as the return which as we all know is unlikely.

MLB ERA
    "This doesn't mean we're content with the team, but if we don't have a deal that makes sense for us, we're not going to do a deal for the sake of a deal," he added.

Said Mercker, "I was told during a 45-second conversation with O'Brien in LA that neither I nor Weathers have been shopped and somebody would have to overwhelm the Reds with an offer."
    .................................................. ..........

How about a deal that makes sense Danny, like trading Casey to clear up the clogged outfield situation?

And that situation wtih Weathers/Mercker is frustrating too. Not only that O'Brien seems to insist on keeping them both around next year(and only dumping them if "overwhelmed"?(they are relievers!!!), but also because of his "45-second conversation" with Mercker. The guy doesn't know how to communicate with the players at all. I have to agree with Rich on that one.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    pull the trigger make a deal. That is what my team the Twins need to do. We have sp to move. Is there any talk between the Reds and Twins?
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

no one wants casey, and why would they?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Actually, several teams have expressed interest in Casey.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The Mets are one of those teams, but that may have taken a back burner with all the Manny Ramirez/Soriiano talk. Too bad for us.

I wouldn't mind keeping Weathers and Mercker for next year. 2 solid bullpen guys, I would love to keep them.