Thread: Notes: Aurilia plans to request a trade

MLB ERA

Notes: Aurilia plans to request a trade

07/29/2005 10:33 PM ET
    Notes: Aurilia plans to request trade
    Veteran infielder unhappy with utility role with Reds

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- Rich Aurilia's first stop upon arriving to PETCO Park on Friday afternoon was to the lineup card.
    His second was to the manager's office.

The veteran infielder saw himself listed as a reserve for the series opener against the Padres, with Ryan Freel at second base and Edwin Encarnacion at third base. Visibly upset, Aurilia had a lengthy, private chat with Jerry Narron.

Afterward, Aurilia voiced his displeasure with his utility role and said he plans on requesting a trade.

"My role has changed here in the last week," Aurilia said. "I thought I was going to be the starting second baseman, from what I was told. I guess things changed. If they want to go in a different direction and develop younger players, that's great. But don't impede someone else's season or career by doing that."

Despite his claim that he was told the starting second base job would be his, even after Freel's return from the disabled list on July 20, Aurilia has started just four of the team's last 10 games at that spot.

During the four-game series against the Dodgers this week, Aurilia started one game at second, one at short, one at third and was given one day off.

Seeing his name out of Friday's lineup was the final straw, in Aurilia's mind. He said he planned to have a talk with general manager Dan O'Brien to express interest in going to another team.

"I kind of want to know if maybe there's a fit somewhere else for me," Aurilia said. "From Day One, I've kind of been disappointed in the communication factor here. The stuff you're told is gonna happen, the exact opposite happens. It's frustrating, especially for a guy who's been around 10 years. All you want is honesty."

O'Brien had yet to be approached by Aurilia by the time Friday's game began, and, as is the GM's policy, he declined to discuss whether any deals involving Aurilia were imminent.

"But let's just say it takes two to make a deal," O'Brien said.

Trade rumors have been swirling through the Reds clubhouse for weeks, yet only one man -- Joe Randa -- has been shipped off. Aurilia is probably the only other player who has much chance of joining Randa on the transactions list before Sunday's non-waiver trading deadline.

Aurilia is just the sort of rent-a-player that usually gets dealt this time of year. He's playing on a one-year contract, he's making just $500,000 and he has the veteran leadership qualities and experience to aid a contender.

But whether there's much market interest for Aurilia remains a mystery -- even to him.

"I have no idea," he said. "I guess there seems to be some interest, but I don't know from where or when or what's going on. They're pretty tight-lipped around here, so I don't really know."

Aurilia became expendable to the Reds when he went on the DL with a strained right hamstring in early May and Felipe Lopez seized the starting shortstop job with two clenched fists. Aurilia became expendable again after Freel's return from a nearly month-long stint on the DL.

Since his own return from injury on May 29, Aurilia has been solid in a utility role, batting .297 with seven homers and 29 RBIs over his last 43 games.

"Since I came off the DL, I've performed pretty well offensively," Aurilia said. "And defensively, I've proven myself at second base. That's a place I had never really played before. And I know I can play shortstop and some third, too. Whether [another team] takes notice of it or not is up to them."

Given recent developments, Aurilia is hoping someone notices.

Unwelcome guest: Jacob Cruz wasn't bothering anybody Thursday at Dodger Stadium.

Walking to the on-deck circle in the ninth inning, Cruz was thinking about his upcoming pinch-hit at-bat against Elmer Dessens.

"I was walking up there, getting ready for an at-bat, minding my own business," Cruz said. "Then 'Pow!' I never saw it coming."

What he didn't see coming was a foul ball off the bat of Jason LaRue. The ball flew straight into Cruz's right leg, striking him just above the knee.

"I stood there for a while and took a standing eight count," Cruz said with a laugh.

He came out all right, despite some bruising and the strikeout that ensued. And to ensure no other accidents would occur while LaRue finished his at-bat, Adam Dunn threw Cruz a chest protector from the dugout.

Hello, old friend: Narron was asked if it will be strange to see Randa, traded to the Padres last Saturday, on the opposite side of the field this weekend.

"I've seen him on the other side for 10 years," Narron said with a laugh. "He did a great job for us here. We just happen to have a younger guy [Encarnacion] who plays the same position."

Reds report: The Padres threw the Reds an unexpected curveball by switching up their starting pitchers for Friday and Saturday at the last minute. Right-hander Pedro Astacio will start Saturday's game instead of right-hander Brian Lawrence, who got the nod on Friday. Narron said the change didn't affect the Reds' lineup at all on Friday. ... The Reds are 14-11 in July and with one win in this weekend's series against the Padres will guarantee themselves a winning month for the first time since May of 2004.

Down on the farm: Right-hander Justin Germano, acquired in the Randa trade, made his debut with Triple-A Louisville on Thursday night and allowed three runs on seven hits with no walks and four strikeouts in seven innings. Right-hander Allan Simpson (3-3) gave up the go-ahead run in the ninth, as the Bats lost, 4-3, to Durham. ... Left-hander Ben Kozlowski was scheduled to make his debut with the Bats on Friday. He was promoted from Double-A Chattanooga on Monday.

On deck: The Reds and Padres continue their weekend set at PETCO Park with Saturday's 10:05 p.m. ET game. Hometown-boy Aaron Harang (6-9, 3.97 ERA) will get the start against Astacio (0-1, 4.50 ERA).

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Nice Find CRF, my comments below...

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    07/29/2005 10:33 PM ET
    Notes: Aurilia plans to request trade
    Veteran infielder unhappy with utility role with Reds

By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com
    Not this crap again... *grabs a box of tissues*

SAN DIEGO -- Rich Aurilia's first stop upon arriving to PETCO Park on Friday afternoon was to the lineup card.
    His second was to the manager's office.
    maybe it was on the way to the dressing room?

The veteran infielder saw himself listed as a reserve for the series opener against the Padres, with Ryan Freel at second base and Edwin Encarnacion at third base. Visibly upset, Aurilia had a lengthy, private chat with Jerry Narron.
    *Hands Aurilia a tissue* Freel just stole 5 bases in one game, when was the last time Aurilia stole that many in a season, let alone one game? Encarcion is how old and whats the chances of Aurilia still being in baseball in 2 years?

Afterward, Aurilia voiced his displeasure with his utility role and said he plans on requesting a trade.

"My role has changed here in the last week," Aurilia said. "I thought I was going to be the starting second baseman, from what I was told. I guess things changed. If they want to go in a different direction and develop younger players, that's great. But don't impede someone else's season or career by doing that."
    *Hands Aurilia a tissue* Ya its called you got your a$$ outplayed over the season by Freel. The only reason you were starting in the first place was he was injured.

Despite his claim that he was told the starting second base job would be his, even after Freel's return from the disabled list on July 20, Aurilia has started just four of the team's last 10 games at that spot.

During the four-game series against the Dodgers this week, Aurilia started one game at second, one at short, one at third and was given one day off.

Seeing his name out of Friday's lineup was the final straw, in Aurilia's mind. He said he planned to have a talk with general manager Dan O'Brien to express interest in going to another team.
    Name a team that would be willing to start you and lets ship him out. I bet that list is going to be REALLY REALLY short. *Hands Aurilia a tissue*

"I kind of want to know if maybe there's a fit somewhere else for me," Aurilia said. "From Day One, I've kind of been disappointed in the communication factor here. The stuff you're told is gonna happen, the exact opposite happens. It's frustrating, especially for a guy who's been around 10 years. All you want is honesty."
    *Hands Aurilia another tissue* The team is 14 games under 500 and we are suppose to care about seniority? Although he does have a point about the communication and how its sucked all year.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    O'Brien had yet to be approached by Aurilia by the time Friday's game began, and, as is the GM's policy, he declined to discuss whether any deals involving Aurilia were imminent.

"But let's just say it takes two to make a deal," O'Brien said.
    *Hands Aurilia another... wait im all out runs for the boat* Good Luck O'Brien you're going to have to sweet talk everyone to get any interest in him, since hes complaining about being a backup. Teams are not going to want him because he's already complained about not starting.

Trade rumors have been swirling through the Reds clubhouse for weeks, yet only one man -- Joe Randa -- has been shipped off. Aurilia is probably the only other player who has much chance of joining Randa on the transactions list before Sunday's non-waiver trading deadline.
    Could be all but I wouldnt be shocked someone doesnt panic and ups an offer for casey solely looking at the batting average.

Aurilia is just the sort of rent-a-player that usually gets dealt this time of year. He's playing on a one-year contract, he's making just $500,000 and he has the veteran leadership qualities and experience to aid a contender.
    so he maybe cheap and a vet, but hes complaining about being a backup already. How many teams will give a guy hitting .260s a chance to start?

But whether there's much market interest for Aurilia remains a mystery -- even to him.

"I have no idea," he said. "I guess there seems to be some interest, but I don't know from where or when or what's going on. They're pretty tight-lipped around here, so I don't really know."
    Anything coming from someone that isnt related to him or his agent?

Aurilia became expendable to the Reds when he went on the DL with a strained right hamstring in early May and Felipe Lopez seized the starting shortstop job with two clenched fists. Aurilia became expendable again after Freel's return from a nearly month-long stint on the DL.
    Thats because this team was in a funk cause they didnt have the table setters with Aurilia in the 2 hole.

Since his own return from injury on May 29, Aurilia has been solid in a utility role, batting .297 with seven homers and 29 RBIs over his last 43 games.

"Since I came off the DL, I've performed pretty well offensively," Aurilia said. "And defensively, I've proven myself at second base. That's a place I had never really played before. And I know I can play shortstop and some third, too. Whether [another team] takes notice of it or not is up to them."
    And I thank him for being willing to try, but care to compare his batting average vs the teams with GOOD pitching staffs?

Given recent developments, Aurilia is hoping someone notices.
    Good Luck with that he will need it.

"I was walking up there, getting ready for an at-bat, minding my own business," Cruz said. "Then 'Pow!' I never saw it coming."

What he didn't see coming was a foul ball off the bat of Jason LaRue. The ball flew straight into Cruz's right leg, striking him just above the knee.

"I stood there for a while and took a standing eight count," Cruz said with a laugh.

He came out all right, despite some bruising and the strikeout that ensued. And to ensure no other accidents would occur while LaRue finished his at-bat, Adam Dunn threw Cruz a chest protector from the dugout.
    Gotta love the good nature riving in a clubhouse when they saw he was alright.

Hello, old friend: Narron was asked if it will be strange to see Randa, traded to the Padres last Saturday, on the opposite side of the field this weekend.

"I've seen him on the other side for 10 years," Narron said with a laugh. "He did a great job for us here. We just happen to have a younger guy [Encarnacion] who plays the same position."
    If not for Encarnacion I figure Randa woudl still be here with an extension lined up, he was really good for us.

Down on the farm: Right-hander Justin Germano, acquired in the Randa trade, made his debut with Triple-A Louisville on Thursday night and allowed three runs on seven hits with no walks and four strikeouts in seven innings. Right-hander Allan Simpson (3-3) gave up the go-ahead run in the ninth, as the Bats lost, 4-3, to Durham. ... Left-hander Ben Kozlowski was scheduled to make his debut with the Bats on Friday. He was promoted from Double-A Chattanooga on Monday.
    Glad to see him start off well, hopefully he, Ben, and the others can be ready to help next year.

Anthony Castrovince is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

I like you comments Slyder. Aurilla has been desent since he has returned from the DL but he only got the opportunity because Freel was injuried. So since Freel has came back from the DL Aurilla we have to fill the Utility role.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA
    I am ready for him to go, I just hope we can get something decent in return. I won't be surprised if he goes after the trade deadline as I can't imagine anyone picking him up on the waiver wire (just to block him from going to another team), so all is not lost if he doesn't get traded by tomorrow afternoon.

I like having him in the dugout if someone is needed to come in for the infield, but I don't like an attitude about being the "utility infielder". If he isn't happy then send him packing to somewhere else. Make the trade, he isn't going to be missed much so don't expect a bunch for him, just get him out of the clubhouse before moral comes down with him complaining.

Boo ****ing Hoo. Aurillia, you suck. Plain and simple.

I smell a DFNYY.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    We all have had our displeasure with Aurilia all season long. And I think that it has nothing to do with his play on the field. But it is his sorry attitude that we cannot stand. he must think he is God's gift to baseball or something. I like to think that way about myself as well, but I am definately mature enough to know if someone is outplaying me. This cries for a trade asap. Or just designate him for asignment, we don't need him taking up space and positions any longer.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedMachine
    I like having him in the dugout if someone is needed to come in for the infield, but I don't like an attitude about being the "utility infielder". If he isn't happy then send him packing to somewhere else. Make the trade, he isn't going to be missed much so don't expect a bunch for him, just get him out of the clubhouse before moral comes down with him complaining.
    Rey Olemado can do the same exact thing for the Infield, not to mention we could always move Freel around and put Bergolla or Olemado at 2b.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

So Aurilia *****es and then we reward him with a start at second base!!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Rey Olemado can do the same exact thing for the Infield, not to mention we could always move Freel around and put Bergolla or Olemado at 2b.

Spot on Slyder. We really do not need Aurilia at all. But I agree that he has not been as bad as we make him out to be. But again, the bat that has been taken out of better players' hands might have been a difference in a few ball games.