Thread: Long Shot but....

Rookie ERA

Long Shot but....

The Reds are only 11 games back of the Wildcard. And they have been playing really good as of late. Anyone else think its doable for the Reds to make the Postseason?

AA ERA
    well i am sure it is possible.. cubs just lost Ramirez for who knows long. IF the Reds make some good moves(IF) and if they can get really hot and win more games and get some lucky losses by other teams im sure it can happen. Kinda sad how we are only 11 games out. But i think the Astros might be running crazy with the Wildcard this year.. but i do believe in miracles lets cross our fingers LOL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I have to say I highly doubt it. but with injuries flourishing throughout almost every team ahead of us in the division, there is a possibility still. but 11 games is a very long shot. Things would have to be perfect especially in September. We would have to go almost undefeated as we will be facing nothing but division rivals for the most part. I think 11 games behind in the second half may have only been done a few times, if any, in history. Doubtful, but slightly possible.

Also, If we do make a trade involving casey, then we can definitely kiss that goodbye.

There's no way. 11 games is huge considering how many teams we have to climb over. And the main reason this is impossible is nobody has dropped a couple stud starting pitchers onto our laps. We've still got major problems

Quote Originally Posted by Reds_fan_4_life
    well i am sure it is possible.. cubs just lost Ramirez for who knows long. IF the Reds make some good moves(IF) and if they can get really hot and win more games and get some lucky losses by other teams im sure it can happen. Kinda sad how we are only 11 games out. But i think the Astros might be running crazy with the Wildcard this year.. but i do believe in miracles lets cross our fingers LOL
    Ramirez can't be hurt too bad. He got the game winning hit today

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    I have to say I highly doubt it. but with injuries flourishing throughout almost every team ahead of us in the division, there is a possibility still. but 11 games is a very long shot. Things would have to be perfect especially in September. We would have to go almost undefeated as we will be facing nothing but division rivals for the most part. I think 11 games behind in the second half may have only been done a few times, if any, in history. Doubtful, but slightly possible.

Also, If we do make a trade involving casey, then we can definitely kiss that goodbye.
    If we trade ONLY Casey and we get a rumored deal that could help our chances. We could get Griffey, Dunn, Kearns, and Pena into the lineup everyday that would only help Pena because hes shown with everyday at bats he tends to get better long term. Casey's been great but if it means getting the big 3 young guys out there it would solidify the offense.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

It's one thing if you were in 2nd place and 11 games behind the leading team in the WC, then it's simple an extreme long shot. However, for every game you would gain on a day (say, the Astros lose and Reds win), the odds are high that you will keep pace with one of the other WC teams ahead of you (Astros or Cubs right now I think, maybe someone else). The Reds would need a sick run (think, 11 games better than the leader at the least), I would be selling in their position. Then you have the whole NL East to pass too...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    way to squash their slim hopes Fisher

And if your hopes aren't already squashed.

You're pitching Eric Milton every 5th day.

I appreciate the clapping.
    Last edited by Fishercat; 07-29-2005 at 10:31 PM. Reason: My grammar blows more than Paris Hilton

theres about a good a chance of the reds making the playoffs as there is of me marrying tremere

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    theres about a good a chance of the reds making the playoffs as there is of me marrying tremere

I'm not very confident the Reds will make the playoffs.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Reds could really make a move though. I was just looking at the schedule for August and if we could have a good month w-l wise we play a lot of the teams ahead of us for said WC positioning. Not saying its a guarentee we coudl go 5-22 and fall into a race for the #1 pick. We are just in a position to make contender's lives heck .

Rest of July @SD
    Aug 2-4 Atlanta
    Aug 5-7 Florida
    Aug 8-10 @Chicago
    Aug 12-14 @Milwaukee
    Aug 15-18 San Francisco
    Aug 19-21 Arizona
    Aug 23-25 @DC

Aug 26-29 @Pittsburgh
    Aug 30-31 @Houston

All teams are ahead of us in the Wildcard.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    And if your hopes aren't already squashed.

You're pitching Eric Milton every 5th day.

I appreciate the clapping.
    I try to ignore that aspect of the team and try to keep attention on the offense .

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Fine, you're pitching Luke Hudson on another 5th day. I win.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Fine, you're pitching Luke Hudson on another 5th day. I win.
    I try to ignore that whole aspect of the team and keep my mind positive with the thought of the sluggers giving the unknowns like 8 runs per game.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels