Thread: GREAT Randa story by Tom Archdeacon

MLB ERA

GREAT Randa story by Tom Archdeacon

Tom Archdeacon: Randa keeps it low-key

By Tom Archdeacon

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | After his second straight game of heroics — after he'd hit Wednesday night's grand slam to go along with his walk-off homer against the New York Mets in Monday's season opener — Joe Randa was prodded by his new Cincinnati Reds teammates to step back out onto the field and acknowledge the clamoring fans.

Randa reluctantly complied, giving the crowd a smile and a little doff of his cap before quickly disappearing back down the dugout steps.

"The guys kind of pushed me back up there," the Reds' third baseman was saying Thursday before he and his teammates stymied the Mets, 6-1, for the third straight game. "It was a nice gesture by the fans — they really appreciate their baseball here — but personally I don't like doing stuff like that.

"I like being an under-the-radar type guy who just does his job quietly while the Sean Caseys, Ken Griffeys and Adam Dunns get all the pub. I'd rather not be noticed. So (an encore) doesn't come that naturally. It doesn't happen that often in my career."

In fact, before this grand slam there had been just one other in his 10 previous big league seasons. And that day his mind was on other things than tipping his cap.

"I was with Kansas City and it was a game-winner against the Devil Rays," he said quietly. "The only reason I remember it is because it happened on May 16th, the exact same day that my mom was killed (five years earlier)."

Donna Lexa — his 52-year-old mother and a well-known Wisconsin art therapist who taught the disabled — was killed just blocks from her home when her car was hit from behind and then pushed into a third vehicle.

"To get a phone call with news like that — that the person who means everything to you is gone in an instant — there's no right or wrong way to react," Randa said. "The only way I got through it was with my wife and the Lord and the fact baseball kept me distracted. I was able to go out on the field and vent my frustration."

And there was plenty of the latter, he said:

"My mother and father divorced and she raised my older sisters and me. She tried to do all the dad things, too, and she'd go in the yard and play catch with me or roll ground balls so I could practice fielding. As I got older, she didn't always catch everything I threw back at her, but she made the effort. She was all heart in everything she did. She was a wonderful lady."

She taught paraplegics to paint with their elbows or toes, quadriplegics to create with a brush affixed to a special head band she made. She started her own art center — now called the Donna Lexa Community Center in Waukesha, Wis. — that had 1,700 students before her death.

"My mom's best lessons were to never give up," Randa said. "Stay focused. Keep driving She always pushed everything to the next level. I definitely have a lot of her in me."

Tour the Reds clubhouse and you see the personality of various players by the way they decorate their dressing stations Dunn's area is high-lighted by four carved wooden masks, a two-foot-high statue of Hank Williams Jr., another African carving and a portable massage chair plopped nearby on the floor. Brandon Claussen has colored beads hanging from his name plate, Jacob Cruz, a small stuffed doll that looks like the sun and Danny Graves has a desk with a computer surrounded by pictures, toys and a sexy calender.

The front of Randa's locker is filled with pictures of his wife Bethany and their two sons, 6-year-old Jacob and 4-year-old Justin. One photo shows the two boys carrying third base onto the field for Opening Day last year in Kansas City. Another shows he and Justin in the dugout.

"The game of baseball is great and so is the camaraderie with the teammates in the clubhouse, but this is what I live for," Randa said pointing to his photo gallery. "The bottom line is family. When I walk away from the game, I'm going to be the best dad I can be. I grew up in what you'd call a dysfunctional family. For a good while, my mom had to do it all for us and I'm going to use her lessons.

"I remember her taking us to the Milwaukee Brewers games to see Robin Yount, Paul Molitar, Ben Ogilvie, Cecil Cooper, Gorman Thomas — the Harvey Wallbanger Crew. Baseball in the '80s was a way of life for us."

His own kids were at Great American Ball Park for Opening Day and not only did they spend nearly an hour throwing a ball with their Dad and taking their own special batting practice, but they joined Randa for his post-game press conference.

"When I got traded here," Randa said, "the oldest one was excited. He said, 'That's the team Ken Griffey plays for.' He knew him from video games. And Ken's been great to both boys when they come in the dressing room. He makes them feel special.

"The younger one — he's found a new favorite in Adam Dunn — has to be in full uniform before he comes to the ball park. He was sleeping when I hit the game-winner Opening Day, but he was here Wednesday night and he saw the grand-slam. He was glad he was awake for that but the funny thing is the kids kind of take it all in stride."

The 35-year old Randa is the same way

When asked about his big start — even going 0-for 2 Thursday he's hitting .500 — he shrugged: "It's been one to remember for sure, but I've gone through stretches in my career before where I really felt good. By no means do I feel this is a fluke."

Reds general manager Dan O'Brien brought in Randa — who'd spent eight seasons in Kansas City and one each in Pittsburgh and Detroit — for $2.15 million for one year. Sought more for his glove than his bat, he also was seen as an important cog in clubhouse chemistry. Thursday as you listened to Reds players teasing Randa, you sensed he was a grand-slam hit off the field, as well.

When a Reds coach walked past with the days line-up, Griffey grinned: "What is it, 1 to 8 just Randa?....He doesn't need anybody else."

Randa smiles at the needling: "I've really felt comfortable with this team, since day one. That might have something to do with my start. They've welcomed me and made me feel right at home."

Sean Casey, in fact, brought him to his home:

"We had a little get together at my place and you got to see him with his family. I said right then, 'The city is gonna love this guy. He's the total package.' And he's gone out and found the perfect way to introduce himself to the city."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great article. No doubt that Randa has been the sparkplug of this team so far. He really does fit right in with the team. We were told all off season that we would enjoy him, and I believed it. But I did not know he was such a good guy off the field as well. Much needed for this team. Good to have this guy on the team.

MLB ERA
    just a dad trying to make a living for his family

randa will fit in great here. it will be hard to get rid of him at the end of the year
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep Casey will have a fit guaranteed. I heard someone say before that if casey had his way, they would have at least 1,000 players on the active roster right now. But I see these two really developing a friendship and becoming great teamates. I agree, that it will be hard to convince the team that EdE is the new young talent we are looking for. Hopefully EdE can help make it a little easier though.

MLB ERA
    It seems Randa's personality is very similar to Casey's. Interestingly enough, they are similar in some ways as hitters in that they both make a lot of contact.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.