Thread: Batting second, Griffey won't alter his approach

MLB ERA

Batting second, Griffey won't alter his approach

Batting second, Griffey won't alter his approach

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | The way Ken Griffey Jr. figures it, "Adam Dunn and Austin Kearns are going to carry this club for years to come," so let them carry it now.

That, of course, is until the New York Yankees swoop in and bury them in money after they become eligible for free agency.

But that is why Griffey doesn't mind that he is batting second in the order while Kearns bats fourth and Dunn fifth.

"My approach to hitting doesn't change," he said after going 4-for-7 in his first two games. "My pitch selection doesn't change. I just try to be as patient as possible."

Once Griffey bats second in the first inning, as the game progresses his spot turns up anywhere, and he came up with the bases loaded in the fourth inning Wednesday against the Mets, breaking at 2-2 tie with a two-run single.

Griffey was in a dentist's chair at 7 a.m. Thursday, but that isn't why he wasn't in the lineup Thursday afternoon. Manager Dave Miley planned from Day 1 to give Griffey, shortstop Rich Aurilia and second baseman D'Angelo Jimenez the afternoon off Thursday.

"A quick turnaround, an early day game after a night game, so let's get some of the other guys out there (Ryan Freel, Felipe Lopez, Wily Mo Pena)," said Miley.

"As for Griffey batting second, it was him or Adam Dunn, just something to keep from bunching the left-handed hitters together," he said. "We knew Kearns was going to bat fourth. If our leadoff hitter gets on, with Griffey batting second, there is a good chance it might quickly be 2-0. Griffey and I talked during spring training, and he had nothing against batting second. So far, it has worked out with Griffey batting second and Dunn fifth."

And Griffey's dentist visit?

"I cracked a tooth last year and was going to get it fixed, then came the hamstring surgery," he said. "So I didn't get it done. It started aching in spring training, so I decided to get it fixed. No big deal. I was in the chair about 45 minutes."

Milton goes short

Eric Milton's economy Wednesday (66 pitches, 47 strikes) played right into the team's pitching plans.

Milton will pitch Sunday in Houston on three days of rest instead of the normal four.

"They approached me about it late in spring training because of the way the schedule worked out," Milton said. "I've done it in my career maybe once. But I don't even feel sore (Thursday morning) after pitching (Wednesday night), so that's a good thing. This is probably a one-time thing, so I'm OK with it."

Feel for Freel

Ryan Freel received the welcome he hoped he would receive when he led off the bottom of the first inning Thursday ... loud applause.

"The fans were great, and it made it a lot easier for me to cope and to keep my head straight and stay in the game," Freel said.

Freel feared what his reception might be after he was arrested Monday night and charged with DUI.

"Even the players on the Mets said nice things to me, like to keep my head up and stay focused and everything would be all right," said Freel. "Even the umpire crew chief (Tim McClelland) said something nice. That made it easier."

Belisle likes bullpen

Rookie Matt Belisle was sitting in the bullpen Wednesday night in the sixth inning when the telephone rang.

"Say my name, say my name, say my name," said Belisle, wanting to get into the game. When bullpen pitching coach Tom Hume pointed at him, the right-handed rookie was ecstatic.

And he pitched 12/3 innings of scoreless, hitless ball, walking one and striking out two.

Belisle is a starting pitcher, but loves his current residence in the bullpen.

"I get to put on my spikes every day, knowing I have a chance to pitch, like when you were a kid and played every day," he said. "I'm having a great time and the door is still open for me to start. Whatever they want me to do to help the team I'll do. But I like the 'pen, I really do."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I say keep batting Griffey second. I like it quite a bit actually.

Also I wonder if Belisle is just saying he really likes the bullpen in order to keep a job. Either way, if it works out that he does a solid job out of the pen, I hope he stays there. So far he is looking much better than the likes of Weathers, Mercker, and Weber.

AA ERA
    I agree that Belisle is say whatever to make the team. But he pitched well so I am all for it at the moment. I dont mind Griff batting 2nd, but I was a little surprised to see FeLo there yesterday. I was happy to see him in the lineup, but Dunn should have batted 2nd move Pena up one and put FeLo in the 7 hole. But like I said I was happy to see him in the game.

MLB ERA
    belisle looked really solid on the game he pitched. his stuff was really there and he had great command.
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    who is batting 3rd if Griffey 2, Dunn 4, Kearns 5?

MLB ERA
    casey
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    ahh, I forgot about him

MLB ERA
    I think Belisle is actually growing to like the bullpen. I think he really means it.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.